Friday, September 18, 2009

Meet Maude, the Conehead

Have I told you lately that I love my Maude? She is truly a great companion for me and while I'm having to learn how to be a puppy Mama, I'm getting better at it and we are finding our own little rhythm and way to live.

I boarded Maude right before school started as I knew I'd be working a lot of long hours and wouldn't be able to let her out, walk her, and keep her on a regular schedule. So I picked her up on Tuesday, the second day of school and she kept scratching her ear.

After a few days, she was scratching so bad that she scratched a raw spot on the top of her ear where it meets her head. I took her to the vet, got drops for her ears, and then she was supposed to be as good as new.

Well, after a week her ears were cleared up, but this spot on her head was getting bigger because she would scratch it every time it scabbed and it would reopen the wound. So I called the vet and they told me to get her a cone. So I go on the 14th and pick up the cone.


You can tell it's huge and she didn't like it. She would bump into things, she quit eating, and she refused to go to the bathroom. After a day, I'm panicking and freaking out, like any overprotective new mother.

My friend Donna recommends an inflatible collar - more comfortable than the cone. I go and by one.... we try it and it works for like two days. Maude is no dumb dog. She figures out if she lays this really weird way, then she can hold the collar down and still scratch. So I'm back to the drawing board.....

Enter the Comfy Cone. It's made of a comfortable material, like the inflatible collar, but more restrictive like the cone. I can fold it back so she can eat comfortably. It's easy to get on and off so when we walk, we can take it off. So the Comfy Cone goes into commission on September 17th.

You can see the Comfy Cone. We'll wear it for two weeks to allow the wound to heal and some of the hair to grow back.

Wish us luck!!

No comments: