Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 - How Did I Do?

You may or may not remember, but last NY's Day, I made 5 "Suggestions" for myself, rather than resolutions. I think it's time to check in and see how I did......

Suggestion #1: Increase my physical health - this includes exercising more and eating less. (Ed.'s note: Notice I don't say diet? I will surely fail if I do.) In addition, I will go to my regularly scheduled doctor wellness exams instead of waiting for something to be wrong with me to get medical attention. If our body is a temple, then my temple is in need of one massive Extreme Home Makeover and this is the year it's gonna happen.
Result: Tanked - I totally sucked at this one. Not even gonna try and sugar coat it.

Suggestion #2: Increase my mental/emotional health - this includes writing in my gratitude journal DAILY and not just when I'm drunk and in the "I love everyone" mode. Having good relationships with clear boundaries is also important. Making sure I don't sloth too much and interact with society (besides through the computer) will be a focus too.
Result: Not too shabby - I did work on my relationships and boundaries this year. I didn't sloth as much and I got out more. I worked my gratitude journal, maybe not daily, but most days.

Suggestion #3: Read for pleasure, knowledge, and growth - both personal and professional. My goal will be 50 books again this year and I hope to reach it.
Result: I ended up reading 41 books this year. Not as many as last year, but in my defense, I read many 400+ page books this year. I already have my stack developing for 2010 and with my Kindle, Amazon.com, and Barnes & Noble gift certificates, I will continue reading!

Suggestion #4: Instead of talking about it, do it. I've wanted to see Mount Rushmore and South Dakota, so I'm going. No more shouldas, wouldas, couldas... if it's possible, then I will work toward it.
Result: I did do a bit of travelling this year : Hot Springs, Summer Road Trip (OK, KS, NE, SD, WY, CO, NM), Austin, Salado/Gruene, NY/NJ. I saw more shows and kept doing new things. I've had a blast doing it!!

Suggestion #5: Quit bitching about my age. So what if I'm going to be 39 (gulp) this year? I don't think I look my age and I don't think I act my age. I'm going to embrace my age (gulp) and be grateful that I'm young, healthy and able to do what I want to do. So if you hear me talking about how old I am or bemoaning my upcoming birthday, please throw the bullshit flag on me.
Result: Slowly but surely, I got there. I'm excited to be turning 40 in June. I want a big party and lots of presents - I've earned it! I'm going to NYC with some girlfriends, it will be fun!! My 30's were a great time of growth and self-awareness, my 40's are going to be about me taking the world by the balls!! ;)

Also, as like a Suggestion #5, Part B.... I'm going to quit bitching about being single and alone. Who cares? Maybe I'm one of those people who will always be single? Maybe not..... maybe Mr. Right got lost and hasn't found me yet.... maybe not..... who knows? I'm a cool person and if it's supposed to happen, it will...
Result: Mixed success here. I'm more confident with being single and alone than before, but I'm also realizing that while I'm having a blast, it maybe could be just a bit better if I had someone to share it with.......

Tune in tomorrow for my new "suggestions" for 2010. I've got some new ideas and a renewed focus for the blog, so we'll see what 2010 brings!!

Be safe tonight!! Happy New Year's Eve!!

2 comments:

JDHTEACH said...

no doubt its better to have someone. You are a great person and someone out there is going to be LUCKY to find you.

JDHTEACH

Leon said...

Aren't these 5 things the reason you blog? If you quit them, blog goes to double hockey sticks.