Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Dallas Summer Musicals Return - Kicking it Off with Rent!!

After a seven month break, my Dallas Summer Musicals season begins!! Actually, Rent is in addition to my season - my season begins on June 2nd with "Happy Days - The Musical."

I LOVE Rent!! It's the only show I've seen on Broadway and I just thought it was amazing. I loved the movie when it came out and now own it. But I was most excited to see that Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp were going to be in this tour - since they were the original Roger and Mark!! Woo hoo!!

I head downtown after getting a late start. The free parking is almost full and a long walk. Since I'm alone, I'm not really comfortable with that, so I pay $15 to valet. I am literally right by the front door. They put me in the VIP Valet, so I was in the first row of cars, facing out, so when the show was over I could run out, jump in my car, and go. They even gave me my keys back so I wouldn't have to wait for them to retrieve my car. What a deal!!

I get inside and get settled. I'm sitting in my usual season ticket seat and I've got a couple of older ladies next to me. The place is PACKED - it is Opening Night after all!!

It's about 7:55 and it's almost time. A younger lady is going down the aisle, her foot gives out, and she busts ass. Serious ass. While her friend that is with her never gets off of her cell phone. Luckily, since her friend is so busy, one of the ushers brings her an icepack and offers help. The good news is that Grace (my name for her) didn't spill a drop of her Crown and Coke. Amen!! There is a God! Grace and her friend left at intermission and we never saw them again!!

The show was 2 1/2 hours of song and great memories. At the beginning of the second act, when they sing "525, 600 minutes" - I just got all choked up! If you haven't had the chance to see Rent, you should go!! It was an incredible night!!

Now I'm just counting down to June 2nd - I can't wait to be reunited with Roland, Sylvia, and the Sarcastic Commentary Gay Couple!!

No comments: