Sunday, May 31, 2009

Random Thoughts from the end of May!

Okay, so I'm lagging behind again on my blog - but the end of the year is BUSY. So I'm going to highlight some key issues/comments/news from the end of May and hopefully in June I'll do a better job of blogging!!

  1. Dad - earlier in May my Dad went into the hospital with a blood and bone infection. He spent 9 days in the hospital and it was an awful experience. Do not go to Trinity Medical Center in Carrollton - the staff was awful, the service was awful, the food was awful, and my Dad's medical care was awful. He's been home since May 18th and he is doing a LOT better. It's hard to see the roles reverse and you start to have to worry and take care of your parents. I don't like it one bit!!
  2. On May 18th, I had some skin cancer removed from my leg. It wasn't bad, they got it the first cut, then I was able to go spend time with my Dad while he waited to get discharged from the hospital. I had to go to the School Board meeting that night, and I rear ended a receptionist from another school. Lovely, huh?
  3. You saw from an earlier post how much I love Rent, right? Well, my speech path Mindy's cousin Toby was touring with the company. She had heard me gush about my love for Rent and got her cousin on getting the entire cast to sign a Playbill. Her cousin left the Playbill in the hotel when they left Dallas - damn!! But Mindy is persistent, the tour went to Austin and she had already planned to go there to see him again. This time, she got a Playbill signed by the whole cast (except Adam Pascal, jerk!) and she framed it in a shadowbox for me! It's hanging in my office and I love it!! Thank you, Mindy, for a very unique and special gift!!
  4. On May 20, our school district participated in the Special Olympics - we've hosted it for the past several years and it's an exciting time. My campus has 12 students participate in Special Olympics, so it's very important to me and my staff. I had the honor of running the last leg of the torch with a student and one my teachers. We had the last leg, we took it to our superintendent, Mr. Murray, who then went to light it. It was an awesome experience. Our 4th graders came to cheer our kids on and they did such a great job! It was an amazing day!!
  5. TAKS scores came in and we look like we will be exemplary! We have one group that didn't meet the standard, but we meet it through TPM (too long to explain). I think this is quite an accomplishment for a first year campus, especially with all the trials we've been through this year. I'm so proud of my students and teachers for their hard work!

No comments: