Sunday, May 3, 2009

Swine Flu - can't decide what to think just yet......



This swine flu has me fit to be tied. I can't make up my mind if I'm mad, jealous, or just plan irritated by it.

It's the flu. You can treat it with drugs. The flu is contagious. None of this is new information - then why the hysteria???

Mad: Entire school districts are getting shut down. Why? Kids may have it. So keep the sick kids home, clean the school, and keep running school. Are we going to react to every contagious illness like this?

What really makes me mad is that schools are not having to make up days. Then TEA says that if a school isn't able to take TAKS, the state will work with the school regarding their accountability rating. Well, what about my school? We stayed in school and took TAKS. Are you going to be flexible with my accountability rating?

Jealous: Two of my neighboring school districts are shut down for the week. Hell, I'd like a week off - this time of year is brutal. Teachers are cranky, kids are unruly, parents are impatient, a week off would be lovely. Especially a week off that doesn't have to be made up. It's not fair - I work and my friends in other districts don't work and we both get paid.

Irritated: I'm sick of the new coverage. I'm sick of the complaining. Jeez, get the sick people some meds and let life continue on.

So what are your feelings about the swine flu?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So these schools are being cleaned and hosed down with heavy duty anti-viral cleaning products, right? I'm just waiting for the complaints to start rolling in about kids getting sick from exposure to these chemicals.

unt grad said...

I was pretty tired of it too. I mean, last year Jack's entire grade level got the flu. In the end, Jack and one other kid in the entire grade level avoided getting sick. Did the school district shut down the school for cleaning? NO. It's the flu. AND it's not the first time we've seen it. I read (and heard from my mom) that in 1976 people were vaccinated for the Swine Flu. I was too young to remember, but it happened. So why the hysteria now?