Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ladies Night from a 30-something perspective!!

So last night was Ladies Night!! Well, sorta......

My friend Lori, who has moved to Houston, came to town with her baby, so we all went to dinner to see the baby, give her some gifts, and then have some yummy eats and drinks. Since this is my blog, I'm gonna rant for a minute. Kristen does call ahead seating for 6:30 and we do not get seated until 7:40 - we had to wait over an hour and they told us it wouldn't be more than 30 minutes. Why do call ahead seating? Anyways..... sorry.... back to the story........

It was all going well until they decide to start passing the baby. For those of you that know, I'm almost 38 and I don't really have a maternal bone in my body. Babies scare the hell out of me. As a matter of fact, until about a year ago, I could count the number of babies I've held on one finger!!

So here comes Kai..... Danyielle holds him, he's quiet, fusses a little, no worries....... then Brenda, no problem....... next is Kim, who is sitting next to me, I start to worry a bit....... now it's my turn...... my heart is pounding as I take him (he's so little, about two weeks old) and at first he's fine..... then he starts stretching and making noises, then he starts crying..... I'm so embarrassed, I know Kai can tell that I haven't a clue what I'm doing and I'm nervous - he just called me out like that in front of everyone!! I almost toss him over to Kristen, mom of 3.... he starts to calm down a bit and then I feel like a total loser, but then he cries again and I feel better - it wasn't just me!! Woo hoo!!

So dinner is over and Lori is leaving and we all hug and say goodbye. We admire the minivan that she bought that morning that made her an hour late driving from Houston to get here (it really is nice!)

So the four of us decide to go get a drink. There is a new bar that has opened and we are gonna go there. Now the bar is in a strip shopping center. And they have valet parking. For $5. (I know I'm old when I think I'd rather use that $5 for a beer than a park!) So we get stuck behind a young lady and her BMW using the valet. She gets out of the car, and he gives her a ticket. He parks the car in a spot by the front door. She has to walk farther to get to the bar than the car has to be driven to be parked. The car is front row joe!!

So my question is: When she leaves the bar.... she walks the front door and will literally walk into her car, what does she do? Call over the valet guy and say, "Hey this is my car!" and the valet guy will back the car out of the spot and hand her the keys? She paid $5 for that? I just don't get it!

The bar is having its grand opening and it's crowded, so we go to Cantina Laredo for a quick drink and chat. We get there about 9:30 and they kick us out the door at 11:30. So we are all safely home by midnight. Just like when we were in high school. Except that was 20 years ago.

Bottom line is - you can't beat a great evening with good friends!! Love you guys!!

No comments: