Saturday, July 17, 2010

Things I'm Learning About My New Home

So, I've been a resident of my new town for about 2 days now. I've come to some conclusions about where I live:
  1. The people here are sooo nice! Everyone has been very welcoming and very helpful. No Dallas bitchiness here.
  2. People are not in a hurry here. It's taken me a while to do everything because no one is in a hurry. I used to think I was going to have a heart attack because I was killing myself, but now, I may have one because it's so slow I get impatient! I'm still in the Dallas mentality of gotta get it done that I've gotten frustrated a few times - but because it's a small town, I smile and am nice - people talk!
  3. People here aren't afraid to ask questions - that is different. There really are no topics off limits. And they like to talk, there is no such thing as a quick question.
  4. It's a small town..... I can get anywhere in 10 minutes, usually 5. That is nice. My school is 5 minutes from my house (3 if I make the light!). What an awesome commute!
  5. It's hot as hell here...... I'm sure it's just as hot as in Dallas, but still.....

I'm slowly getting unpacked... and so far the only snafu I have is that my washing machine isn't working. It fills, washes, but won't drain, rinse and spin. So I have someone coming on Monday to get it fixed. I'm almost done with my bedroom, bathroom, and closet. Tonight I'll dump trash, break down boxes and start putting holiday stuff in the garage. My goal tomorrow is the grocery store and unpacking the kitchen so I can cook instead of eating out, I'm sick of it!!

I'm sure there is much more to learn about my new home.....

1 comment:

unt grad said...

It sounds like Bastrop is interesting and fun. Everything will be fine. Once you get settled and into a groove and get used to the slower pace it'll be fine. Remember, every new adventure has an element of the unknown and new. You're basically in a new culture down there. You're experiencing the "immersion technique" of living in a new culture. Everything will come in time. In a few weeks, you'll return to the DFW area to visit and think, "How did I ever live here?"