Friday, July 30, 2010

State of the Union - 2 Weeks in a Small Central Texas Town

I know that you haven't heard much from me - I've been trying to unpack and settle down. My office is pretty much done, except for hanging pictures and cleaning out the previous two principal's stuff.

Home is a bit slower. Still a few boxes and I'm waiting for new furniture on August 14. My Dad needs to bring me my birthday TV and help me hang curtains and pictures. Then I think this place will start to be home.

I've got my car insurance done and I've found a nail place. I have a library card and I can get to Walmart in minutes. I know where Sonic is and where I can get a good margarita. I still need to find a hair salon.

My friend Kam came last weekend, it was so great to see her. I think I talked her ear off. We had a few 'ritas, lots of conversation, and a most delicious breakfast at Maxine's on Main. My sister will be coming next weekend, so I'm excited to show her around. We'll also head to Austin for some fun too. I think my Mom is coming over Labor Day, so Hotel Mo is up and running.

While things are working out, I thought I'd generate two lists, one of things I miss and one of things I like about my new life. So here goes:

Things I Miss
  1. Sushi - apparently the Chinese buffet in town has sushi. But I'm a bit of a sushi snob after having great sushi in Dallas. I will be driving to Austin and finding good sushi. I also know that each time I come to Dallas, someone is going to get drug to my favorite sushi spots.
  2. Shopping - Whether it's the mall or Target/Bath & Body Works/Bed Bath & Beyond/Hobby Lobby, I miss how close it was to me. The good news is I'm not spending as much money (which will benefit the house fund). Yesterday, Kathy & I went to Austin and found many of these shops, so it was good to know where it is.
  3. Friends - I'm still meeting people and trying to find friends to hang out with. I'm about sick and tired of myself. I should use this time to read more, scrapbook, or unpack, but I dunno....... and even when I do find friends, where will we go?
  4. Grocery Store - I miss Market Street so much. HEB just doesn't cut it.

Things I Love

  1. Location - While I'm away from good shopping and some restaurants, I love how the bank, work, grocery store, post office, library, etc. are no more than a few miles away. I've been on the same tank of gas for over a week and I've only gone 60 miles. My gas expenditures will be less (which will benefit the house fund).
  2. Local Restaurants/Shopping - There are some really wonderful restaurants here in town. Not chains, but locally owned. And there are a ton of cute shops - I haven't ventured out to shop, but I will do that and can't wait. For a town of this size, there is a lot to do!
  3. My Home - I love where I live. The rent is very reasonable ($300 less than in Frisco) and there is a lot of grassy areas for Maude to roam. It's a new apartment with nice amenities and the office staff is fabulous! I referred a friend here, and I'll get $500 off rent (which will not benefit the house fund, but will benefit either the Albuquerque or Hot Springs fund!).
  4. People - The people here are friendly and helpful. It's nice.

Bottom line, I'm glad to be here. And I'm available for shopping, pedicures, and/or margaritas.

No comments: