Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Girl Scout Cookies - An Eating Disorder Moment...



I have a confession to make. I am an emotional eater. Surprise, huh?

So I'm going through a big transition period at my job - nothing bad, just a lot of confusion and waiting for things to happen. As someone with unconfirmed OCD, this is not always an easy position for me to be in. I like control and order. I like my color coded file folders, my clean desk at the end of the day, and the feeling of accomplishment when marking something off of my to-do list.

So today, I have an afternoon of meetings scheduled to do some planning for this transition period. Lots to do, lots to think about...... I feel the stress monkey on my back. (Not to be confused with the Accelerated Tax monkey.) I return to school and I see that the Girl Scout cookies have been delivered. They are sitting on my desk - bright colorful boxes with pictures of happy girls. I know I'm happy when I eat the cookies!! I mean, I was a Girl Scout back in the day (of course, they were only $1.25 a box back then!) and I should support the Scouts, right?

Tagalongs. Samoas. Thin Mints - two boxes!

I finish up my work and am ready to go home. I'm tired (I always seem tired lately - I think that's my body telling me I need Spring Break - which is 12 school days away!!). I'm hungry - I didn't really get to eat lunch before my meetings began today.

I'm still not really sure how it happened..... driving out of the parking lot, I almost lost control of the car busting into the box of Tagalongs. I eat two cookies, no big deal. I sneak a third one. I think how good they taste while I eat the 4th and 5th one. I stop, looking at the box in horror - I've just eaten one whole row of cookies!!

I call my Weight Watchers buddy Melissa to have her help me put up the box of cookies and talk some sense into me. She doesn't answer!! I eat two cookies to soothe the fact she doesn't answer. What kind of friend doesn't pick up the phone to talk you down from the ledge?

I stop at Sonic to get a Diet Coke because I've had no caffeine today and I've got a monster headache. While I'm waiting, I eat two more cookies - then because the one left in the row looks sad, I go ahead and eat it to finish the second row.

As I head home, my friend Elisa calls and as I'm talking to her, I guess I ate more cookies - I honestly don't remember. I pull in my spot, hang up the phone, and look down. The box is empty. I have eaten 15 cookies in 30 minutes. What the heck??!?!?!

This was 3 hours ago. Since then, I've had the box of cookies sitting on the kitchen counter - each time I think I'm hungry, I see the box and I walk out of the kitchen, head hung down in shame. The box symbolizes a shame spiral at the fact that I ate all of them in the same time I could have watched "The King of Queens." To make myself feel better, I ate a paltry salad for dinner. Lettuce and salad spray.... yummy!! :/

I added up the Weight Watchers points for my little "slip" today. 32 points!! That means I should be able to eat my next meal Friday - dinner on Friday that is!!

Anybody want some Girl Scout cookies? I've got three boxes for sale!!

No comments: