Friday, February 15, 2008

Going to see Oprah.... aka "The Mothership"

I love Oprah! There is just no other way about it! I've watched her show for as long as I can remember. I remember when she pulled the wagon of fat out on the stage, I remember some of her crazy hair dos..... I love her!! I subscribe to her magazine and have for a long time, I read every book she either recommends or every book she has chosen for book club. I Tivo her show, surf her website... I once even tried to get a job as an online host on her AOL area.

So you can see that it's been a dream for me to make the pilgrimmage to Chicago to be in the audience of her show. I don't even care what the topic is (but of course, I'd love to see "Oprah's Favorite Things!!") - I just think it would be awesome to be there. I've even put it on my own personal bucket list.

My friend Danyielle and I have talked about Oprah tickets for as long as we've known each other. So a couple of weeks ago, I'm surfing the site and I see that on Friday, February 15, you can call in and try to get tickets for the March show tapings. I about die!! I call up D and tell her that we've got to go! Of course, my fellow Sigh Sister Betty is also game for this adventure. One of the aides at my school even offered me airline tickets if I got show tickets. I'm ready!! I'm going to go see Oprah - I can't wait!!!

Yeah, right.

So the window opens at 10 AM and I've already got the phone number loaded as a speed dial on my cell phone. I'm ready. We have a break during our meeting and I start calling - busy signal or the operator telling me all circuits are busy. I dial for almost 20 minutes non-stop. I keep calling, every chance I get and I get the same results. All day long, I duck out of meetings, hide in my office, even call from the bathroom and never get anything but a busy signal or the operator destroying my dreams with busy circuits.

At 4 PM, when the window closed, I accepted my fate. I really wanted to cry, but maybe there is a reason why March isn't my month for Oprah. Maybe there is no more Nate shows, or no giveaways, or my honey Matthew McConaughey isn't going to be on. I'm crushed.

But you better believe that I'll try again next time. And Oprah, if you happen to read my little blog.... could you help a sister out and toss a few tickets my way? I'd be forever grateful.

No comments: