Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Administering Public Justice......

So I got called for Jury Duty... again.......

This is the 5th time I've been called for Jury Duty:

1. Dallas - 1994 or 1995 - went down to Sterrett, waited for 4 hours, sent home
2. Florida - 1996 - jury foreman on a jury for a traffic case, acquitted
3. McKinney - 2004 - selected for a jury on a civil case about a guy who got part of his finger cut off at a DART work site, found for defendant
4. McKinney - 2005 - was juror #2, but they struck me out, it was a child sexual abuse case (one that I was glad to not serve on!)
5. Frisco - today - in and out in 30 minutes!!

First of all, Frisco jury duty doesn't start until 10 AM, so I was able to get up and my regular time, go run errands, eat breakfast at IHOP, and then arrive for jury duty. (Ed.'s note: This is awesome - I wish my job began at 10 AM. I'd rock!)

So, you get there, you check in, and then you sit. I was reading my Elizabeth Taylor book, so I was good. Then they called us in. I was #22 out of 22. I was pumped.

It was some civil case that only needed 6 jurors. The judge said that jurors #13-22 would pretty much be done shortly. The lawyers did voie dire, and the jury was seated. I didn't make the cut!! (Ed.'s note: I LOVE trials - I'm addicted to Court TV - I almost stayed to just watch and listen. Key word: Almost.)

I leave and I'm pumped!! I go to the dry cleaners, post office, get my oil changed, get my car detailed and go to a movie, Sunshine Cleaning, which was great. What a fabulous day!

If you have to do jury duty, Collin County Precinct 4 is the way to go. You are in and out in 30 minutes - that's our government working efficiently!!!

1 comment:

A Simple Plan said...

Sounds like you had fun! My only concern is: what about the people that took off from work and lost a days pay? "The Justice Dept at its Finest!"