Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Night with Katherine Center (aka: Someone Besides Family & Friends Read My Blog!!)

So after we got the little kid reunited with his mother (and no thanks for it - I know, I'm not bitter in the least), I left Sarah to watch the stupid Bachelor while I went to Legacy Books to see author Katherine Center.

Legacy Books is a relatively new bookstore that has opened on the northeast corner of Legacy and the Tollway. It's two stories, very spacious and very welcoming. I worry that with the economy it might have challenges, but I hope it makes it. Great place for coffee and reading!!

I went to see Katherine Center - her new book, Everything is Beautiful, was released on February 17. I had read her previous book, "The Bright Side of Disaster," last year and listed it on my blog as one of my great reads for 2008. People are always asking me for book recommendations, so I just started putting a list on my blog and tell people to look there to see what I recommend. If you haven't read Katherine's first book, I recommend it - great read!!

So back in December, I had a comment posted by Katherine thanking me for putting her book on my blog. She had read my blogs about my friend Richard, and offered her condolesences, understanding since her hubby is a volunteer firefighter. She told me about her new book and that she would be in Dallas promoting it on March 5.

You can imagine how excited I was when I got this comment! It means that someone besides my close family and friends read my blog!

So I was even more excited to get Katherine's new book, hear her talk, and introduce myself to her. (Ed.'s note: Now I wasn't expecting her to remember me and I was worried that she would think I was some kind of stalking fan.) I get to the bookstore and get settled. She talked first about her history and how she got to where she was as a writer. Then she read part of the first chapter of her book to us. There sure is something exciting about hearing an author read their words to a group - it's often more magical than we read it ourselves. I always felt the same when my students shared their writing in class.

At the end of her talk, I walked up with copies of both of her books. I introduce myself to her and tell her about my blog.... and she remembers me! (Ed.'s note: Either that, or she's a really good actress!) We talked a bit, she signed my new book for me, she signed Sarah's copy for her, gave me a hug, and encouraged me to come to Houston for the Mom 2.0 Summit where they talk alot about blogging, how to make it better, and how to take it to the next level. Wow!! It was so awesome!! I really liked her, she is very down to earth and someone I could see being friends with in the future.

And FYI, her second book, Everything is Beautiful, is fabulous!! I'm about halfway through and would recommend it to anyone!! Check her out!

2 comments:

Leon said...

That's pretty neat. Someday Neil Pert will comment on my blog, I just know it.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! So fun to get a second post on your fun blog! I was delighted to meet you in Plano, and I totally remember you! Trust me: I am a terrible actress.

I'm so glad to hear that you are liking book # 2!! We just came up with a fantastic trailer for it that I have to pass along: http://katherinecenter.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/the-awesomest-thing-ever-ever-ever/

Hope you are doing well! Thanks again so much for coming to Legacy Books!!!