Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 1- Frisco, TX to Salina, KS

Total miles today: 413 miles
Total for trip: 413 miles

I'm chilling at the Marriott Courtyard in Salina, Kansas, watching the news. It's good to be in my birthstate!!

Norma and I left about 10:30 this AM.
Despite popular belief, we did NOT stop at Winstar. Maybe on the way back..... ;)

We stopped in Norman and had a quick lunch at Red Lobster. Then we headed to Oklahoma City and the Murrah Memorial. We get there about 2:30- it's hot!! We walk the grounds and then hit the museum. It's sad, touching, inspiring... a barage of emotions. I remember I was teaching 6th grade when it happened- it seems so recent, not 14 years ago.

We leave Oklahoma City and move on to Guthrie. Guthrie has a ton of buildings on the Historic Register. We drove around, it was too hot to walk. We see what we think is an old time soda counter, we get excited, park, and go in. It's not what we thought, but we get a treat and do a bit of walking. We met an overeager store clerk and we decide it's time to get back on the road.

We drive for a few hours until we get to Newton, KS. We stop at Applebee's (Ed. 's note: Kansas people love them some Applebees!) for a quick bite. Great people watching opportunity... As I try to get my bearings, I talk with a waitress.

Mo: Where am I?
Teen Waitress: Newton, KS
Mo: Is this a suburb of Wichita?
TW: Uh, I dunno. (calls out to another waitress) Are we a suburb of Wichita?
TW2: Wichita? Suburb? I don't know, I don't think so.

I'm proud of the land of my birth!!

We hop back in the car and notice all of the burned land and fires burning along the sides of the road. There were a couple of serious fires, but no people around.... what's up with that?

And that brings me here to my comfy bed in Salina. I'm tired and ready for some sleep....

We'll see where we end up tomorrow.....


Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

4 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Why all the chain restaurants? Don't you get enough of that in Frisco? :-)

Sarah S. said...

I kid. Be safe and have a good time!

JDHTEACH said...

Clearly the word suburb word caught her off guard.

Anonymous said...

where is the thursday night blog...two nights out and already taking thenight off??? betty