Monday, August 3, 2009

World School

So, it's Sunday morning and I'm in bed, reading the Sunday paper and enjoying my trashy VH-1 reality shows when an article on the front page of the Dallas Morning News catches my eye. "A Year of Global Learning" is the title of the article.

To summarize, Sue Sandford, a single mother from University Park is taking their four children (and a male tutor) around the world. They left on Friday morning and they will be gone for 365 days and they will see every continent except Antarctica. Wow!! Each of the kids (ages 14, 13, 10, and 8) had a say in what would be a meaningful stop for them, including the Taj Mahal in India, Milan's Fashion Week in Italy, dancing with a school in St. Petersburg, Russia, and exploring the Cu Chi tunnels in Vietnam.

The family has created a website/blog to record their travels. Our World School has spaces for each of the kids, the tutor, and Mom to record their information from their trip of a lifetime. It also shows the itinerary - the site doesn't look completely up and running, but I hope that they get it going!

The family had to endure multiple vaccinations and numerous Visa applications. One of my questions is: Who is paying for all of this? All Sue will say is that she is paying for it from her savings and family support. She won't offer how much this trip costs.

Click here a video that I found on You Tube that tells a little bit more about World School and the family.

I'm anxious to follow this website and see the adventures they will have. I hope the kids have an amazing year. Does anyone want to sponsor me for a year to travel and see the world? I promise to blog religiously!!!

2 comments:

unt grad said...

I read the article as well. I have mixed thoughts about it. On the one hadn I think it's a wonderful learning experience for the children. However, she's taking a huge risk. It will be interesting to read th blogs I agree, but I can't help but wonder how much she's really planned it.

Bronwyn said...

Thanks for sharing. I hadn't read about it. Looks like it will be interesting to follow along!