Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Introducing Special Guest Blogger.... my sister Sarah!!

My sister Sarah is a faithful reader of the blog..... you'll see her comments peppered throughout.... and her husband Mike (whom I've blogged about before) isn't a big fan of the blog....

Sarah & Mike went to see the Holiday Inn implosion on Sunday morning. I would have gone, but I was busy preparing for my school dedication ceremony. I told Sarah that I thought this event was blog-worthy - so she should report it for me. And she did. (Ed.'s note: I think she's worked hard on this and is a bit nervous about it being well received. So only nice comments - I am the big sister and I'll beat up anyone who messes with her!!) Here it is:


Holiday Inn Implosion
Sunday, November 9th

I read about this event in the Dallas Morning News on Saturday and asked Mike if he wanted to go. We were taking a non-commital, "let's wait and see" approach. TRANSLATION: "It depends on how much we drink on Saturday night." If we were awake on Sunday morning, then we would go. If not, we'd watch on TV. No biggie.

We woke up at 6:45a on Sunday (it's fun having two dogs--once they sense you are awake they are relentless in their efforts to try to get you out of bed).

We headed out around 7:15a with provisions: cream cheese coffee cake, orange Gatorade, and Mountain Dew. While driving I was second guessing our decision. "Are we total dorks? Will anyone else be there? Should I have worn a bra?" My questions were answered as we drove along the service road across from the hotel site. Cars had jumped the curbs and were parked askew in the grass. Lines of cars were forming as people were waiting to park in apartment and business parking lots facing the freeway.

I estimate we were in the company of at least 200-300 people, including lots of families with kids. We met one man who had arrived at 6:45a; we offered him coffee cake. Many people brought cameras and recording devices. We stood next to the Channel 5 news van--strategically set up to capture the event. Anchor Suzy Solis was asking people to stick around afterwards to give comments. Overall a very festive atmosphere . . .

75 was shut down for 10 minutes in both directions. Very eerie, to see the freeway and not one single car . . .

Horns blared loudly three times just before 8am. Then, THE LOUDEST "BOOM" I'VE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE, followed by smaller echoing booms. As a relatively intelligent person, I knew it would be loud--I had no idea just how loud. The magnitude of it all made my eyes water.

89 pounds of dynamite were used to take down the 9 story building. It crumbled from the center first, with the east and west sides of the rectangular building folding inward. Less than 30 seconds total. I stood watching in awe--I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it in my life.

Crowds cheered and people high-fived one another while huge billows of dust and debris plumed upward. A westward wind carried these clouds in our direction. A man nearby yelled, "Here comes the asbestos!"

Suddenly we were engulfed in the cloud. I covered my mouth, which did nothing to stop me from ingesting large amounts of the dust. I could crunch my teeth on the grit in my mouth. I looked back in the direction of where the building once stood, but all I could see was just more dust and debris. Eyes stinging, I ran for the car (I wish I had worn a bra).

Once in the car (also covered with dust and small debris) we drove home silently, enjoying clean air and taking in what we had just seen.

At home, I dusted off, brushed teeth, washed face, etc. We were just in time to see Suzy Soliz (also covered with dust and small debris) and the replay coverage on Channel 5.

To this day, one of the coolest things I have seen!


Not bad, eh? Maybe Sarah should get a blog of her own. For the full effect, here's a video of the event:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Sarah, you did a great job. Love ya Betty

Anonymous said...

got any pics of Sarah not wearing a bra?