Monday, November 10, 2008

My thoughts on the election?


Well, I voted.

I'll tell you who I voted for. John McCain. I describe my political views as "Republican with Democratic tendencies." But this election, I just felt that I was more in line with McCain than Obama. I didn't (and still don't) think he has the experience needed to run a country. However, history has shown that many presidents didn't have that experience (like W.) - sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't.

I hate Joe Biden. He's a pompous ass. But he likes to get his drink on and party and he does have a lot of experience. And frankly, between him and Palin... he's the lesser of two evils.

So on election night, I knew pretty quick that my guy wasn't going to win. And I pouted. Which only resulted in Ohio and Pennsylvania going to Obama.

I watched McCain's concession speech - which was amazing, eloquent, thoughtful and downright passionate. The most passion I'd see from McCain was in admitting defeat, not running for office. I thought he was respectful to Obama and he was a graceful loser. Had he run his entire campaign with the same fire, thought, and candor..... heck, he might have had a chance......

I waited up for Obama to speak. I was going to turn the TV off at 11, whether I heard him or not. He came on. I will admit, I don't care for his dry delivery style, but I listened to his words. And watched how people reacted to him. People were crying. People were happy. People looked hopeful. When was the last time you saw that at a presidential election? Not in my lifetime...... maybe Kennedy?

I liked what he said to those of us who didn't vote for him. That he would work to earn our respect. That stuck with me. That was powerful.

While Obama doesn't have much experience in government, he knows how to unite people, to inspire people and give people hope. That's a quality that you can't learn, no matter how much experience you have.

I'm going to give Obama a chance. I think he may be the change we need. I'm going to watch him work to earn my respect. I'm going to watch how he unites people. And I'm going to watch and pray that he doesn't gouge me next tax year.

(Ed.'s note #1: I do have to say that I will miss Tina Fey as Sarah Palin - pure comic genius!)

(Ed.'s note #2: Mr./Mrs. Condescending Ray of Sunshine - I'm dying to see your blast on this post - hit me with your best shot!!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No blast here. I agree with you, except I voted for Obama.

Anonymous said...

Either way we were going to be screwed. We're still sending our young people overseas to die, the economy is in the toliet, and Saturday Night Live has to come up with some new gimic to get people to watch now that Palin's out of it!
~Ms. Condescending Ray of Sunshine