Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thanksgiving - what's the point?

Okay, so I just realized that Thanksgiving is like three weeks away..... big deal, right?

This holiday serves two purposes:

1. Be thankful - shouldn't we be thankful every day? How can you remember all year long the things you are thankful for and then be thankful for them on one day? Or are you supposed to not be thankful the other 364 days of the year and just expected nice shit to happen to you just because? Explain......

2. Eating - okay, I like to eat. One look at me and this would be a rhetorical comment. If we are so worried about health and obesity, why do we have a day that promotes eating until you are ill? Anyone???

Thanksgiving is a holiday spent with your family. Families are dysfunctional in the best of circumstances (if you don't think so, I've got a cruise on the river Denial with your name on it!!). Holidays are even more stressful. Drinking occurs, people are ubersensitive, and something ugly has the potential of happening.

So what do I do? Am I functional and face the day, knowing it could be a challenge?

Hell, no - I do my dysfunctional move that I've trademarked.... AVOIDANCE!

I avoid Thanksgiving. Hate it. Hate turkey. Hate pecan pie. Hate stuffing that has bread crumbs and/or apples and celery in it.

I travel. Or host people travelling.

Last year was my first "Un-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving." I had my dear friend John in from Florida and his friend Sandra from Houston. We stayed in our pj's, cooked, watched bad reality TV, drank, played Rummikub and had a very stress free day. With my trademark deviled eggs (which I know John is now trying to take credit for as his own in the Florida market - I'm on to you, John!). Don't get me wrong - we ate. But there was no dysfunction and no guilt.

This year, I'm going to Missouri to see my Sigh Sister Betty and Cousin Kate. We'll start off on the 22nd getting a full tour of St. Louis (been there so many times, but never done touristy stuff because family lives there) and we'll eat dinner on Sunday the 23rd. Marthalocity and Bettylocity will travel on Monday-Wednesday to Eureka Springs and Branson. We'll serve Thanksgiving dinners on the day. Again, no stress, no guilt, no drama, no dysfunction.

That's how I like to roll on Turkey Day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally disagree! Yes families are dysfunctional. Mine mom is a case study in crazy. But I like Thanksgiving because it is the LEAST commercialized holiday EVER. Including Easter. Even Halloween has been commercialized. Halloween decorations in the front yard in September? Really? I hate Christmas because of retail. It's a contest. You win by giving the most expensive gifts. Hate it! grrrr

Anonymous said...

Is there less dysfunction in Missouri? I thought it was equally distributed throughout the world. You may be looking for avoidance but are only going to find a new and different form of dysfunction!!! Happy Holidays!!!

Mo said...

Hey, you can disagree all you want. I like discussion.

And is there less dysfunction in Missouri? Hell if I know, but I guess I'll find out. And aren't you a ray of condescending sunshine?

rottie4me said...

And here I was feeling guilty about not wanting to go through Thanksgiving. Spending time with the in-laws who sit there for endless hours comparing each grandkid and the story always circles around to the favorite, no matter what the topic is. The favorite knows a little about a lot and is the best at it. I only have my dad on my side of the family. My twin is lost somewhere and doesn't call because he's stupid. My oldest brother is the black sheep and has disowned me for something from 13 years ago!! My older half brother is in lala land and his world is perfect, so he invites me for turkey day when he gets around to it. So dad will show up at the in-laws and that give he and I something to talk about for days....