Monday, June 2, 2008

A Message from Sticky the Duct Tape Dork

So this morning, I'm ready to go to work... it's the last week of school and I'm ready to get this over with - I need some summer! I start to pull out into traffic and I hear my car making a noise.... Great - I've got car issues..... of course, I think of the worst case scenario.... it's the axle.... this is gonna cost me some serious money! I call my friend Caren and ask her to meet me at Firestone and I go and drop my car off.

I get to school and I get busy - there is a lot to do this time of year! I start working and then I get a call from Tommy at Firestone.

Tommy: "We've located the source of the sound your car is making."

Me: "Is it bad?"

Tommy: "It's some duct tape. We've removed it, at no cost to you."

Me: (silence for a minute) "Omigod, I'm such a dumbass!?!? Are you serious?? How embarrassing - I'm the girl that makes other girls look bad at the car repair shop!"

Tommy: "Ma'am, it's not the most unusual thing that has happened to us. But while we were checking, we noticed that you need a new air filter and your brakes are shady."

Me: (embarrassed) "Go ahead and do what you need to do - thank you!!"

Tommy: "No problem, ma'am. We'll call you when your car is ready."

I hang up the phone and hang my head in shame. Well, at least I got pity brakes and a pity air filter.

Caren (who now calls me "Sticky") took me back to Firestone during her planning so I can pick up the car. I walk in, thinking that they will all be laughing hysterically at me. They give me the total and I hand them my credit card.

Declined.

Declined? I paid the balance off and haven't used it - how can it be declined? I'm sure these people think I'm a real idiot now.

I call the credit card company, only to find out that they've put a fraud alert hold on my card. Someone's been visiting websites and shops and using my card!! So I get these fake charges off of my card, close that account, open a new account, and pay for my pity parts. I can barely look Tommy and his buddies in the eye.......

Well, I have a new credit card number, new brakes, a new air filter, and the reputation for being the dumbest chick at the Firestone today.

Lucky me!

No comments: