Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Pilgrimmage


Okay, for those of you that know me.... I'm sure you can agree with me when I say that I have my own unique personality. I think I can be serious and hard working and all of that, but then I can be kinda unpredictable at times too.


I was born in Atchison, Kansas. Where? Huh? Atchison is a little sleepy town in northeastern Kansas. My parents were going to college there (Dad at St. Benedict's and Mom at Mount St. Scholastica - isn't that a mouthful?) Now because I subscribe to the belief that a baby is made when there is so much love that it creates a whole other person, let's just fast forward to my parents' wedding in November '69. I was there too, if you catch my drift. And then the birth on June 28, 1970. (When I was little, I thought that was the day the world began. If you were older than me, you were just born that way on June 28th. Can you say "egocentric?")


I spent my first formative year in Atchison. Then my parents graduated college and we moved back to St. Louis, where my dad grew up. I don't remember Atchison. I've never been back.


In the early 90's, my best friend Jennifer and I wanted to take a road trip to Kansas. She was born in Leavenworth, another popular Kansas hot spot. Both sets of parents told us that we'd be disappointed, to not go, it would be a waste of time. So we went to Las Vegas instead.


As I turn 40 (Ed's. note: Yes, I know it's in two years, but I've always been advanced for my age! Just go with it, it sounds better this way!), I'd like to see the land of my birth. I want to be one with Atchison. I need to complete me (sorry, Jerry Maguire!).


So, my original plan was to rent a car and drive from Dallas through Oklahoma, then hit Kansas. Then I was going to go on through Nebraska and end up in South Dakota. I was going to be armed with my book "1000 Places to See Before You Die." I was gonna take like a week to do and see everything, then head home. Unfortunately, my job hasn't really left me the time this summer like I'd want...... soooooooo......


Marthalocity is heading to Kansas City, Missouri (KC MO) today. Fellow Sigh Sister Betty will pick me up and we will go on the pilgrimmage tomorrow, June 20th. Did I mention that Atchison is the birthplace of Amelia Earheart? I feel like I'm in good company.....


Now, no Marthalocity trip is complete without random things to do and this trip is no exception.... check these out:


  1. Leila's Hair Museum - the only one of its kind in the world. Jewelry, art and other artifacts made from human hair. And we wonder why it's the only one of its kind in the world? While this kinda creeps me out, I'll admit, I'm intrigued. I'm hoping that there is a gift shop and I can purchase a family "hair-loom." hahahahaha (that took me almost 15 minutes to come up with..... work with me here, people!!) {Independence, MO}

  2. Pony Express Museum - now this satisfies my inner nerd. Who wouldn't want to see the history of the Pony Express in this interactive museum? I remember teaching my 2nd graders about the Pony Express..... I'm excited!! {St. Joseph, MO}

  3. Glore Psychiatric Museum - I'm sure it will be Glore-ious!! The history of psychiatry from a guy who worked for the Missouri Dept. of Mental Health or something like that. This ties in with our hotel in DC that was a former psych hospital. Besides with my family's history, some of our people could be showcased in this museum. Or maybe I could go ahead and reserve my spot?

  4. Walmart - Betty & I love a good Walmart (aka the Mothership). I hope there is one in Kansas as I'm trying to visit a Walmart in each of the 50 states. (So far, I've got Texas, Florida, Arkansas and Missouri..... I know you are impressed!!) Okay, really, I'm not.... that's too cheesy for even me!! {Atchison, KS}

I return on Sunday afternoon and I'll be back to post, complete with pictures and stories.


I'm going to Kansas City.... Kansas City here I come!!

No comments: