Friday, December 5, 2008

Respect the Grand Poobah's Authority!

I'm a principal of a small school in a small district in a small town. I like my district. Being small allows everyone to know each other and there is a real feel of family. I love my school - it's new and we have some growing pains, but my staff is strong, the kids are good, and I know that we will be a force to be reckoned with as we continue to grow and mature.

As I've blogged, I've put in a lot of hours into my new job. I've even slept on the clinic cot (which is surprisingly comfy) because I was too tired to drive home. I believe in doing Whatever It Takes, so that's just what you do.

Weekends are sacred to me. I like to have one day to run errands, clean, do whatever I need to do and then I like for my other day to be what I call a "Sloth Day."

On a "Sloth Day," I may get dressed. Or I may stay in my pj's. I may shower or I may not. I could nap all day, or curl up with a good book on the couch. I could watch TV or play on my computer. I might scrapbook or I might do some baking. It's doing whatever I want, when I want, how I want. Some days start as a "Sloth Day," but an offer comes along and I jump on it. On some "Sloth Days," I don't interact with society at all. No phone, no texting, no IMs. It's all about me. I treasure these days as they don't happen very often.

Being a principal has really cut into my sloth days. I knew it would happen, but it still makes me pout if I don't get my time. It is what it is and I'm getting used to it. I'm learning to manage my time to sloth whenever I can, rather than waiting for a whole day that may not happen.

Tomorrow I have to go to a fundraiser for our school from 10-12. I shouldn't complain because we truly have the BEST PTA I've worked with in a long time. They are caring, hard working, and committed to our kids and staff. Then we have our local tree lighting festivities at the park tomorrow. I'll be one of the judges judging the floats in the parade - that starts at 3:45 PM. I have dubbed myself the "Grand Poobah" of the parade even though I won't be in it. After that, I'll head to the tree lighting and then see my choir sing. I'm so excited to see the kids sing, they did a practice run today and they were phenomenal!!

But there goes my whole day. I'm glad to do it for my kids and school, truly, but I'm tired and need to start doing Christmas stuff too. I don't know when I'll get my cards out or mix my annual (as well as highly regarded and demanded) Holiday Jams.

Soo much to do and not much time to do it in.

But no worries, I'll try not to think about it while I "sloth" on Sunday. "Rock of Love Charm School" and "Survivor," here I come!!

2 comments:

JDHTEACH said...

I am not going to lie to you. At this point I am not missing it...AT ALL. I got so much done around the house this weekend and while I was up in the attic getting stuff down Tracey said ...you know I miss this..you have not been able to do this forever!!!!

THe grand Pooh Bah is enjoying doing things for the kids and with the family

JDHTEACH said...

I am AMAZED at how much more time I have to be with the family and be a SLOTH....I did not realize how much time I was putting in.