Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Try to Have a Non-Dysfunctional Merry Christmas!!

Well, it's Christmas Eve. Wow, where did 2008 go? And don't give me the crap about that time goes faster when you are older (even though it does!).

So many of you are travelling (or have travelled) and are preparing to spend the day with family and friends. Lots of noise, chaos, potential dysfunction......

Me?

I'm alone. And I'm loving it. I had two gift wishes this Christmas - a new TV and a day for myself to do whatever I wanted.

Well, the new TV went buh-bye when I had to get a new radiator and O2 sensor for my car. So tonight I'll be unwrapping a picture of my new radiator and thinking how great it will be to be able to drive. It's the small things, right?

My second gift - I can't tell you the last time I had a day to myself to do what I wanted - wait, I can.... it was in July!! So today is my day. I'm showered and in a fresh pair of PJ's. I'm watching "Footloose" because I can. I may read or nap later. I'll make something yummy for dinner tonight, light a fire, and finish my bottle of Bitch wine. (Keep the Bitch wine comments to yourself!!)

The rest of my family spends time with their "other" family today - my sis with her hubby's family, my Mom with her hubby's family, and my Dad with his "friend's" family. I don't have another family. So I get the day to myself. (Ed.'s note: Please note that there is no tone of complaining, whining, or requesting for pity here. I'm HAPPY about this.)

What I'm not happy about is that both of my parents expect to see me on XMas Day. This is about a 100 mile round trip for me, not to mention lugging gifts and food (because you can't come empty-handed, I wasn't raised in a barn, ya know!). It's like a job, it's exhausting. People are drinking, and in my family, that usually leads to some form of unpleasantness, meanness, or just dysfunction. I have to eat two full meals so as not to offend them. I have to balance my time because God forbid I spend more time at one house or another.

I want to see my family, but why on that day? Couldn't we get together on the 26th? My mother has not been to my home in 2+ years, my father has not been here in 15 months. They never come to Frisco or want to see me here. I have to come to them all the time. For my birthday even, if I want to see them, have dinner, get gifts.... I have to go to THEIR house..... Heck, I can count on one hand how many times I've seen them this entire year, but by God, we had better be together on Christmas Day.

Don't get me started.....

So today, I will enjoy my day - I will rest and gear up for the Christmas Marathon of '08. They are my family and I love them.

But next year.....

I am hosting XMas Day at my house. 3 PM. Mark your calendars. There will be food and Bitch wine for all. Leave the dysfunction at the door.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've marked my calendar for 3:00pm on 12/25/2009. Looking forward to it!

betty said...

I think I get an exemption since I will be your consort onthe thanksgiving nyc 2009 retribution tour. love betty

JDHTEACH said...

Got it! By the way...what does a person have to go to get in your LINKS section. I know I would have made it in blog world if I am there by SEXY PEOPLE.

JDHTEACH