Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Happy Valentine's Day. Just saying it makes me want to retch. There's nothing more special about a day of love when you are single. Alone. Unattached.

For a long time, I had many single girlfriends. Our mantra was, "Valentine's Day is about friendship!" and we'd go to dinner and a movie, buy each other cute little friendship gifts, and use it as an excuse to eat excessive amounts of chocolate. Well, one by one, these girls have married themselves off.... and as they do, Valentine's Day being a day about friendship is an idea of the past. No more cute friendship cards, or wanting to do something as friends. They are married, they have husbands!! They don't have to make themselves feel better with the friendship stance. Now it's which one got the best flowers, which one got jewelry, etc. (Ed.'s note: This year, the economy has worked in my favor. Flowers and gifts are less this year, so it's not as blaringly obvious as maybe it has been in years past.)

I work in a school, so at least I'm always guaranteed a little Valentine's action at work. I cruised the parties yesterday (while thanking God that I didn't have to be there the whole time) and I got quite a few cards, candy, and hugs from the kids. Kids love Valentine's Day - they give cards, candy, they get a party, they have huge smiles on their face. Hanging out with the kids restores my faith.

You know, Valentine's Day is the only day all year I feel crappy about being single. I'd like to thank the media and the retail industry (special shout out to Hallmark) for their hard work at taking a crack at my self-esteem. And I love when my married friends say, "Well, we aren't doing anything special for Valentine's." And I want to scream, "Dumbass, I think it's more about the fact you have SOMEONE while I lay alone tonight, clutching my pillow, crying myself to sleep over the huge void I have in my heart." (Ed.'s note: Okay, that last comment was even a little too melodramic for me!!) At least I'm not out any money, so I guess I have that going for me!

What will I do today? After I take a Xanax so I don't feel bad about being alone, I will either do what I wrote on Facebook (1. Bury head in sand. 2. Sleep. 3. Wake up on February 15th) or come out of my pity party long enough to rustle up the few single gal pals I have left and do something fun.

Before you run off to your romantic dinners, or stare at your beautiful flowers, why don't you take a moment and wish a single gal "Happy Valentine's Day." I bet you can count it as community service!!

5 comments:

jill said...

"Santa Barbara has arrived!" Happy VD, girl.....send all that love you've got right back at yourself....you deserve it! ;D

vicky said...

Wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day, Martha! Thank you for making me aware that I need to be more sensitive to the feelings of others. There are many people out there single or not that are hurting and I need to be more observant. As for Valentine's Day, I say "Valentines Smalentines", a boycott does sound like a good idea!

MeanMommyAmy said...

Happy Valentine's Day!!!! I'm spending it listening to Harrison & Dylan shoot nerf guns while Maddy & her friends scream at scary movies. It sounds like the girls are on a roller coaster. Is it too late to run out for some dessert?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for including me in your single girl friends! I actually am not as bothered by the holiday as I used to be, but then, I am hanging out more and more with single people, although I have many married friends. I am always tempted to buy myself flowers (gerbera daisies and tulips are my favs) to brighten up my house, but I opted for flavored popcore this year. And I can eat whatever wierd flavors, because I don't have to worry about kissing anyone or having bad breath. See, there are some perks to being single!! Happy Valentines Day!

A Simple Plan said...

I think that holidays are too commercialized. Everything is about buying red and pink to give to your sweetheart! I would prefer to make something for the people that I care about & love. So, I made a Valentine card for each office staff member- single, married, or divorced, it did not matter. I wanted them to know that I care and appreciate them~ "Holidays have become a commercialized spectacle." (Read that on the Internet somewhere and agreed with it!)