Thursday, February 12, 2009

WTF is up with Joaquin?

I used to love Joaquin Phoenix, especially when he was Leaf Phoenix. One of my favorite movies is 1989's "Parenthood," in which Leaf plays Gary, the young confused son of Dianne Wiest. He's moody, brooding and never talks. When Dianne sees him, she always says, "Hi Gary!" My Dad's name is Gary and my sister and I like to do that to him......

I loved "Walk The Line" - so much so, it made me hate "Cash: The Musical." He was great as Johnny Cash and had a great singing voice.

So I heard recently that he had quit acting to make music. Not sure I agree with that, as I do think he's a talented actor, but to each his own.

So last night, he was on Letterman and he was weird. Like either he was acting like this was a character or a role, or he was stoned on drugs, or he's just weird.

I'm hoping it's not drugs - his big brother River died of a drug overdose in 1993 and it was so sad - so gorgeous, so talented, so useless to die at such a young age.

So here's the clip from Letterman:



What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some are saying this is all a publicity stunt, but I don't agree. I think he's genuinely having a breakdown. How sad. And I thought Letterman was hard on him, too. I still remember exactly what I was doing when I heard that River Phoenix was dead. Looks like Joaquin is going down a similar road.

Leon said...

Sounds like Ross from Friends. "Work on my music". I think it's a bit to promote his new documentary. He's no Andy Kaufman.

artchick said...

absolutely bizarre!