Monday, February 2, 2009

I have big news..... I'm expecting.....!!!

..... a dog!! (haha, gotcha!! Trust me, if it were a baby, it'll be the Immaculate Conception - Jesus coming soon......)

I work too much. One of the reasons is that there is nothing to come home to. (Unless you count reality TV something to come home to.) So when I get in a rhythm, I just keep saying to myself, "Just one more thing... just one more thing..." and suddenly it's 10 PM and I have to go.

Other people have families to go home too. You have to feed kids dinner, take them places, bathe them, force them to do their homework, and make sure they go to bed at a decent hour. They have reasons (or excuses) to leave.

So because I'm single and childless, does that mean I have to stay behind and do all the work while the married and with child people get to get the hell up out of work?

As Whitney Houston would say, "Oh.... HELL to the NO!!"

So, since the men are beating down my door.... and while I love kids, I desire none of my own (Ed.'s note: I'm committed to ending my gene pool on a high note!).

So I'm going to get a dog. Or a puppy. But here's the dilemma...... what kind?

I do work long hours, so a puppy is probably out of the question. I need a dog that doesn't need a LOT of physical activity because I'm tired after a 10-12 hour work day. I want one to greet me, lick me, wag his/her tail, and curl up with me on the couch while I watch crappy reality shows.

One of my friends actually said she could see me with a yippy dog. And a carrier. And I take it everywhere. And have a Christmas card picture made with the dog. Really? Uh, I don't think so....

So here's your chance to share your dog wisdom with me - tell me what kind of dog you think I should have and any advice that you might have for me as a new pet owner. Name suggestions are welcomed too.

When will I get the pet? When I find him/her...... more to come later......

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy says Bull Mastiff, he says google Hercules bull mastiff and see what you think. He also says little dog equals dumb dogs, note: we have 2 pugs. Don't listen to mom her last 2 dogs have been CRAZY!! The newest one recently fell through the ice in her lake, not so smart! We'll keep thinking on it and let you know!

Anonymous said...

A boxer. They are the best. They can hold their pee for 13 hours or more, they don't jump and yip, they are lazy and sweet - are not big chewers, and are lovable as hell. They ain't pretty or really cute, but they are good friends, they will die protecting you if they have to, and like I said before they can hold their pee for 13 hours..... or MORE. Thor has had exactly 2 accidents in our house ever - and he was under a year old - I mean even when training that dog, he NEVER had an accident. Oh and they are easy to train because they have big bladders and can hold their pee for 13 hours or MORE!

JDHTEACH said...

Whatever you decide be sure and read up on the bread before you do anything. You could always go to your local vet and tell him the type of animal you are looking for and he will tell you what to get.

Big dogs need excercise.

I would look at adopting from a shelter.

Tracey and I adopted Maggie from Operation Kindness and she came to us "fixed", crate trained, and potty trained.

She has free roam of the house and does great!

I have pictures of Maggie on my facebook. Check her out...big girl

JDHTEACH said...

and no not all small dogs are dumb.

I have a mini-weenie and she is very smart.

Some dogs are smarter than others.

Anonymous said...

I am going to shock everyone and recommend that you think twice about this. I am a dog lover, and I once lived the single life in an apartment with a dog. But that was when I was a teacher, not a principal. This dog is going to have 11 hour days without you on a regular basis, even if you are making a point to go home. And do you know who's going to keep it when you travel?

There's nothing fun about coming home from an evening event at school, cleaning up poop and pee, and feeling guilty.

Anonymous said...

hi martha, i have the best dog in the world and I noticed that another person mentioned one close to him, he is a chi-weenie, half chihuahua, half weenie dog. We got him while I was in college and crate trained him in a week, he is the chillest dog ever, an amazingly self-sufficient dog. My friends say he was a cat in a former life....anyway, i wanted a dog before I had Finlee, he has been great, almost 7 (in people years) and now my husband thinks he's his....you should get something like that....big dogs need exercise, not to mention they eat a shitload...anyway I am rambling, love ya...

Anonymous said...

You should rescue a dog! There are so many good dogs out there that need homes! Rescuing a dog is a rewarding experience!

I will happily visit Operation Kindness with you anytime . . .

Mo said...

I signed up with DFW Basset Rescue. I'm in no hurry to find a dog, I want to find the right dog that will be the right fit.

I agree with you, Laura, about the hours and that is something that I'm definitely considering as well.

It'll happen if it's mean to be.