Sunday, March 21, 2010

My $0.02 on the Census

So I received my Census materials in the mail this week. I waited until this morning to open them and complete them because I thought it might take some time to do this. I know I probably did the Census in 2000 when I lived in Florida, but I don't remember it. And I have no idea if I did it in 1990, but I was in college then, so I don't remember a lot of what happened from '88-'92.

I opened the envelope and take a look at the materials. They say it will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the form. Okay.... I can handle that. They've even got a phone number I can call if I get stuck.... that's great. I'm feeling a lot of support from the government here, it's like they are wanting me to kick ass on my Census.

I guess my skills are severly underestimated by the US Census Bureau. I timed myself completing the Census form - 11 seconds. 11 seconds?!?!? From the time I opened up the envelope until I sealed the envelope? 4 minutes, 26 seconds - and that's only because I opened up the whole census form, certain that I had missed some part of the Census.

That's it!?!?! And it could take someone 10 minutes? AND they might need to call someone to talk them through it?? What kind of idiots are living in our country? Frankly, if they can't complete this form, they shouldn't be counted. (Ed.'s Note: The only exception to this is if there is a language barrier. I can understand the need for assistance - of course some of you will argue that you should speak English if you live here, but that's for another time.)

I did read on the materials that if I had any comments about the "burden estimate" (aka 10 minute time suggested), I could write or e-mail my comments to the "Paperwork Reduction Project."

So here goes:

To: paperwork@census.gov
From: mo@undisclosedemailaddress
Re: Paperwork Project 0607-0919-C

To Whom It May Concern:

I feel your 10 minute "burden estimate" is a little on the high side. I completed the entire project in 4 minutes and 26 seconds. While I am single, the actual paperwork took me 11 seconds to fill in, so I have a feeling that if I had a large family, I could possibly tack another minute on the time total.

Are you dumbing down this process because we have people so stupid that they can't finish this without help? If they can't fill out the census, they might also lack some other self-suffiency skills. Could we consider not counting them, so that their idiocy is a not a "burden" on the rest of us? Don't you have people in your family you try and hide from everyone? Same concept.....

On an additional note, I was a little disappointed by how little you wanted to know about me. You just want to know I'm a white 39 year old woman that lives alone? I mean, that's not even any of the good stuff about me.... seriously! If you are trying to get to know who lives in our country, you could ask some more questions to get to know us is all I'm saying.

Best wishes and please give the people that man the phone lines a little extra TLC, they are going to need it.

Proud to Be An American,
39 Year Old White Woman in Frisco that lives alone

No comments: