Tuesday, March 23, 2010

So maybe I'm not a Vet......



Meet Maude.... is she not the cutest dog you have ever seen? Yesterday, it was one year ago since I rescued her. It has truly been the most rewarding experience of my life. She is such a dear, I can't imagine life without her.

Because I'm a new dog mommy, I'm probably a bit of an overreactor when it comes to Maude. I just don't want anything bad to happen to her. (Ed.'s Note: I'm afraid I may be like some of those parents that drive me crazy at work!) I have a terrific vet who I love and trust completely. I told her about my worry that I'm a bit of a helicopter mommy, and she told me she would tell me if that was ever the case.

Yesterday, I come home from work after a long day. I went and got an iPhone, but I'll have to blog about that later. I get home and I'm ready to let Maude out, she is coughing something horrible. She won't stop. I try to force feed her water, thinking her throat is dry, but that doesn't work. She goes out, eats dinner, then falls asleep. Every hour or so she'd wake up, coughing and hacking - it made for a long night. She wouldn't play with me or do her evening walk, which also added to my concern.

This morning, she continues, so I decide to call the vet. I'm convinced because Maude went on Spring Break last week, she has kennel cough. I get an appointment for 11 AM. I call and get my work situated, then I start to read all about kennel cough online. I'm convinced Maude has it. I even start watching videos on You Tube to compare her coughs. Here's a fellow basset with some Kennel Cough:



(If I was smart, I would have made a video of Maude to show you.)

We get to the vet's and go in. They take her weight and her temperature (both normal). They check her ears, they look fine as well. Maude coughes a bit, but she is playful and seems fine. The vet tells me why do I think she has Kennel Cough, she was vaccinated for it in November when Maude had her annual visit. I explain my research and the You Tube videos, even offering to show it to her on my brand new iPhone.

She says that there is nothing really wrong with Maude, just maybe some seasonal allergies. Maude, who obviously can't stand to see her Mom look THAT stupid, decided that was the time to shoot a snot rocket right out on the exam table. Drainage scores points. The doctor chalks it up to a human equivalent of a sinus infection, giving me an antibiotic and some cough medicine.

We talk for a few more minutes, then she says to me, "Great seeing you and Maude. How 'bout we make a deal... I won't tell you how to run your school.... and you won't use You Tube to help me diagnose my patients?"

Deal.

No comments: