Friday, June 11, 2010

Boys II Men were right, it's hard to say goodbye!

Today ends a week of saying goodbye. Last Friday was the last day of school with kiddos. It was hard to tell them and the parents goodbye. I cried at our end of the year slideshow, which makes me think back to all of the great memories we've had this year. It's been a year!

Monday, I said goodbye to the teachers. I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I think maybe I had worked through a lot of my feelings prior to that. They gave me a really cool insulated Moving Day bag, with tons of stuff that will be helpful while I'm moving to Bastrop. They also gave me a ring of notes from all of the staff, which meant a lot to me. I sat in my office and cried when I read it. I just reread it and I cried again. Now, I'm gonna sound like a bitch here, but I would have loved to have had a plaque or pictures that I could put in my new office.... but it's okay. (Ed.'s Note: I know I sound like a bitch, but it's my blog, and I can say what I want!) I have a feeling that my ring of notes will be in my desk drawer and a constant reminder of my time with them.

I said goodbye to my assistant principal on Tuesday. I cried again. It was sad because we are such a good team and we've built such a good school. I pray that she gets my old job as she is ready and deserves it. But I've hoped other things for my district that haven't happened, so I don't know....

And yesterday, I said goodbye to my receptionist and my PEIMs clerk. I cried again. (Ed.'s Note: I've cried more in two weeks than 2 years... and my eyes are a red mess. I look awful!!)

I'll say goodbye to a few more friends after we get back from NYC.

It's just a lot of goodbyes. I'm not good with emotion, so it's hard on me. My last day with my job is June 30th, then I'll have to say goodbye to my secretary. Another hard one. I'm curious if the district will do anything for me when I leave. In the past when another principal left (who had only worked two years), they gave her a plaque and recognized her at the school board meeting. I've been there five years and I think with all the crazy and chaos I'll be getting a whole lot of nothing. It's sad, but another good reason to move forward with all of the positive changes in my life.

1 comment:

unt grad said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the plaque. You didn't sound bad at all, you were honest. That's one thing I've learned this year: Honesty is the best policy. I wasn't honest with myself about a lot of things this past year and now I'm kicking myself.

Good luck in Bastrop! I can't wait to read about it.