Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'm on a Sushi Mission.......

I love sushi. I first started eating sushi when I lived in Tallahassee with Joe. We went to a place called "Kitcho." They had the best sushi. We always got the "Choice of 2" - two rolls, miso soup, and a little salad. It was $9.99 - what a value!! We ate there weekly, it was like our own personal Cheers.

Fast forward back home to Dallas. I have a few different sushi places I like: Mr. Sushi in Addison, Jinbeh in Frisco, Avocado Sushi in Frisco, Big Tree in Little Elm, and Sushi Envy in Plano. My friend Melisa and I went every week for sushi, it was a welcome ritual. I miss both Melisa and our weekly jaunts for sushi.

Now I'm here in Bastrop. I ask someone when I get to town, "Where does one go in Bastrop for sushi?" I was directed to the Chinese buffet in town. I scoffed and decided to find my own. On the day I found South Park Meadow, I found Haiku Sushi. It was incredible. Some of the best sushi I've ever eaten.

One of my fellow principals here is a sushi conoisseur (sp?). I take him and another principal to Haiku last weekend. I ordered my favorite roll and they ordered a few. We shared them all and it was amazing!! I loved the new rolls they selected and we all were very happy with our choices and our meal together.

So Terrell (my new sushi buddy and fellow principal) texts me on Sunday to tell me he's found a place in North Austin that we need to try, Ka-Prow. We make plans to go on Thursday and of course I can't wait. I enjoy Terrell, he's a lot of fun to hang out with.

Thursday arrives (I wasn't sure it would, crazy week!) and we head to North Austin. I'm learning a new route to drive and we chat the entire talk. We get there and order. Our sushi comes and we eat it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't Haiku. We shared rolls again and I think we both made good choices, but it just wasn't the same. We both seemed a little sad actually.

We head back to Terrell's and we decide that Haiku is still the place to beat. We will continue searching for places to try on our adventure. When I'm leaving Terrell's, he tells me that he feels like he needs to eat a sandwich.... I get the feeling!!

So if anyone knows of great sushi in Austin, let us know..... Terrell and I are looking for our next place to try.But.... we may have to hit Haiku again before we go to a new place!

3 comments:

Plus Size Princess said...

Hi Martha! I was just catching up on your blog. I miss ya and been thinking about ya. Hope everything is well in Bastrop. Love ya

Mo said...

Everything is going well. I miss you too!! I want to link to your blog on my blog!!

Hope you are doing well!
:) Mo

Plus Size Princess said...

Link away girl! :)