Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Richardson Reads One Book- "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

Even though I now live in Bastrop, every September marks our annual "Richardson Reads One Book" event that Sarah and I love to go to. It's the literary event of the season!! haha

Now that I live far away, it takes a bit more effort..... taking 2 half days off of work, boarding Maude, the Parking Spot, and a plane ride.... but it is still worth the effort!! I worked a half day on Tuesday morning, then headed to ABIA. I love ABIA - it's new, clean, good restaurants, and easy to navigate. I landed in Dallas about 2:30 and was picked up by my brother-in-law Mike. We headed back to their house.

I had almost 2.5 hours to do NOTHING!! I think Mike was concerned that I was bored or lonely, but I loved it. I watched TV, read, chilled.... something I don't get to do very often at home now. Mike kept checking on me, but I was good.

Sarah got home and we headed to Richardson HS. The reception last year was at a bank, where we had booze. But tonight it was in the library at Richardson HS. So no booze. Boo hoo!! The culinary arts kids actually made all of the food and it was good, but I would have loved a glass of wine to wash it down with.... instead, water.......

Let me just say that Garth Stein is HOT. He's smart, witty, and good looking. Total package. Nice to watch. We were on the 3rd row of the auditorium, so we had great seats. He was a fun and engaging speaker. After, we got him to sign our books, then headed to Snuffers. We gorged on cheese fries so much so that we didn't want our dinner. It was so nice to have time with Mike & Sarah - I miss seeing Sarah on a weekly basis.

Next morning, I got up and Mom picked me up. We went and grabbed breakfast, then it was back to DFW to head home. I was in Dallas for a total of 20 hours, but it was a lot of fun. It was the first time I've been home in two months, so it was good to get a little shot of Dallas in the arm!

And the book? If you are a dog lover, then you will LOVE this book. I didn't want to read it after about 50 pages in bc I was worried about what might happen to the dog. I'm so glad I did. I cried at the end, just like I did with Marley and Me. Dog lovers, this is a MUST READ!!

Cost of Donation to RROB: $25.00
Airfare: $100.00
Parking: $13.50
Boarding Maude & bath: $90.00
Cheese Fries at Snuffers: $6.99

Spending time with my sister after missing her for two months: PRICELESS!!!!

Until next September........

No comments: