Sunday, February 6, 2011

Rabbit Hole (2010)

I'm still on my quest to see all of the Oscar nominated movies. Since this is one is an artsy film, it's a 80 mile round trip from my house to the only theatre in NW Austin that shows this fillm. Do you see my dedication to the Oscars?

I should have known that this wasn't going to be a feel good kind of movie. It's the story of Becca and Howie Corbett (Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart), a couple who is still grieving the loss of their child, Danny, who was hit by a car. Becca and Howie choose very different ways of dealing with their grief, but the question is, can they come out of it together and rebuild their lives?

Kidman (who is not my favorite actress) did a good job as the repressed and angry Becca. I loved Aaron Eckhart in this role as well - why wasn't he nominated for an Oscar? Dianne Wiest is fabulous as Becca's mother, who has also lost a child of her own.

This move is heart wrenching, but beautiful. It's accurate as it shows other uncomfortable with how to talk and deal with the Corbetts, not knowing what to say, some even pulling away from them because it's too hard to engage them in conversation.

This movie, while a sad story, is really driven by characters. These are characters you want to know and understand. And you want to know what will happen to them.... will they make it?

(Ed.'s Note: I was able to stop by Texadelphia for some dinner and some quasi for my Super Bowl watching party -yummo!!)

Mo's Review:
"Rabbit Hole" (2010): 4 out of 5 stars

No comments: