Saturday, February 5, 2011

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors, that is for sure. I've read several of her books and I have a few others on my nightstand pile. This is one of her older books, a book that I found at The Book Basket (Bastrop's wonderful bookstore where you can trade and buy used books, perfect for a book nerd like me!). Besides, I'm going to Pennsylvania for Spring Break and we are hoping to take a day trip out to Lancaster County and see the Amish, so this book was especially appealing to me. I looked at it as some legwork for my upcoming trip.

This book did not disappoint. It's the story of an Amish girl, Katie Fisher, who has been charged with killing the baby she gave birth to that no one knew about. It's a study of how the Amish live and believe, how the Amish and the "English" interact, and about wanting forgiveness and acceptance.

Ellie Hathaway is a big city lawyer who has taken a break and ends up being the lawyer for Katie. Her story is detailed and rich and you see how Amish life can soften the edges of a tough career woman.

Picoult does more than just tell a story, she develops characters that you want to learn more about and understand. Katie and Ellie are as different as two can be, or are they? Are the Amish as pious and perfect as we may think they are? More importantly, what happens to Katie when she goes to trial? Guilty or innocent?

As with most Picoult books, there is a surprise waiting for the reader. Those who are familiar with her books know this, so you start looking for signs along the way as you read. But it still will be a big surprise for you when it happens.

Having heard her speak and knowing the amount of time and effort she puts in her books, this one did not disappoint. I would highly recommend this book to others to read!

Mo's Review:
"Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult (2000, 405 pages): 4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: