Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Runaways (2010)

I'm home sick today. I've been up since 2 AM, vomiting like a crazy lady. The bug has been going around the school, so I guess it's my turn. Since I haven't been sleeping much (about 3 hours a night for the past week), it's all come to blows today. I've spent most of the day in bed, sleeping and trying not to throw up again. I HATE throwing up!!

So to give me a break, I decided to watch one of my Netflix movies (which I've had since November, isn't that bad?). I select "The Runaways," which is the story of the 1970's punk rock band The Runaways. This girl band was founded by Joan Jett and Sandy West. They added Lita Ford and Cherie Currie. There were several bass players, but in the movie they were played by one character.

I liked the movie. I always thought I should have been born in 1960 instead of 1970 and this movie reminded me of that. I loved the music (maybe not all of the fashion). You see how young the girls were (16-18) and that maybe they weren't equipped to handle the fame and pressure. Cherie left the band and a few years later, the band broke up. Only Joan Jett and Lita Ford really continued with their music careers after The Runaways. You learn at the end that Cherie Currie is a chainsaw artist in the San Fernando Valley now.

If you like this time period or this type of music, then this is a great movie to see!! You'll catch yourself singing along!

Mo's Review:
"The Runaways" (2010): 4 out of 5 stars

No comments: