Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mo Drives a Hard Bargain!!

Okay, let me preface this by saying...... I'm a renter!! Yes, I don't own a home. I have commitment issues. Plus, as a single gal, it sure is nice to call the leasing office and complain and when I get home from work, everything is fixed. Like today, my sink was clogged up and my outside light fixture had burned out bulbs. I stop by the office and by the time I get home at 4, it is all fixed.

But, being a renter, you are limited in what you can do decorating wise. My apartment has the older decorating scheme, which was cute, but has grown tiresome. My carpet was jacked up when I moved in, and after 3 years, it's a bit worse, so it's embarrassing to have people over. They think that Maude isn't potty trained or something when they see the floor.

So today, I stop by the office to pay rent and complain about the above issues. I ask if there is another apartment with my floorplan that might be available when my lease is up in December. I need a change. They tell me there is an apartment that is available July 30, with hardwoods and the new scheme. Do I want it?

As I run my other errands, I consult my sister. After talking to her, I realize that I'll be paying movers, hook up fees, etc. And it means that after I get home from my trip, I've got to start organizing my move, including packing, etc. I treasure my break and time off more right now than moving.

As I finish my errands, I stop back by the leasing office to let them know my decision. They try to sweeten the deal (they can hold it until September 1, etc), but I realize the last thing I want to do is move. So I stand firm.

I walk out of the leasing office with them agreeing to paint an accent wall in my living room, add a ceiling fan in my second bedroom, redo my kitchen and two bathroom counters. They are going to have a carpet person come and look at the carpet. If they can't refurb it, they will pull it up and put in hardwoods. So when I get back from South Dakota, it'll almost be like coming to a new apartment.

Isn't that cool?

I'll let you know how it works out.........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a pretty sweet deal. What I do is give Tracey a list of everything that needs to be done prior to me returning from work each day. There are penalties if she does not get finished.

Huff

Janie K. Peterson said...

That is a way better deal that having to move! Way to go!

Bronwyn said...

Nice work there!