Friday, June 19, 2009

My Jacked Up Feet........

(Ed.'s note: This is my foot. You can see where I got the shot. This foot has the lesser developed bunion. But I still have my sausage toes and Fred Flintstone drive with my bare feet feet.)

I'd like to start this blog by giving a shout out to all the Werners, Dugans, Huckenbecks, and Eckelcamps for passing down to me my jacked up feet. While I've been spared some of the less savory family traits, this foot thing is pissing me off!! Apparently us Germans are great drinkers, but have some serious foot issues!!

Let me take you for a quick walk down memory lane. September 2007, my feet were killing me. I go to the foot doctor. He tells me I have plantar fasciitis and gives me some anti-inflammatory drugs and some exercises to try. I get told to quit wearing flip flops and buy some sensible shoes. About two weeks later, I can't walk. My right foot is so painful! I go back to the doctor. X-ray, nothing. They sent me for an MRI. Results? 3 cracks in my heel. Guess what my prize is? A month in a boot! But, after the time in the boot, my foot does feel better.

Flash forward to February 2009. My left foot hurts. I go to the doctor again. I'm not walking right and I'm misplacing weight on my foot which is causing the pain. I have the beginnings of bunions on both feet. I need physical therapy to work on my walking and surgery to clean out my ankle, which is why I'm walking weird to avoid pain in my ankle. So they set me up for arthroscopic surgery in July because I refuse to take the time off of work (Remember my AP was out on maternity leave?? It's not like I could just take off!). The doctor tells me to quit wearing flip flops and buy some sensible shoes. I do some PT and my foot starts to feel better - it only hurts if I'm on it alot.

Which brings us to yesterday.......... My left foot hurt so bad I couldn't walk. I felt like the oldest 38 year old EVER! I was in training yesterday and as the day wore on, it just got worse and worse. I called the doctor and got in for a 5 PM appointment. Thank goodness!! I get there and he x-rays my foot. I'm thinking I've broken something again.

Turns out I didn't break anything, but let me see if I can explain this. You have a ligament that connects your toes. Under it, is a nerve. Because of my bunion that's developing and the weird weight distribution, my ligament is irritating my nerve. In turn, my nerve is swollen and infected. This is creating the incredible pain. Lovely. Treatment? Injections into my foot. That hurt. With a really big needle.

What are you going to do? I take the shot. With the really big needle. That hurts. But my foot stops hurting right afterwards. When I walk, I can feel pressure, but not pain. I'm thrilled. I able to go have sushi with Melisa afterwards. My doctor reminds me to not wear flip flops and buy some sensible shoes.

Today, I kind of over do it. Secretary Misty and I decorate our Staff Development room to show our new theme for the upcoming year.... which will be unveiled during Tuesday's staff development. By the time we leave school to hit Walmart and Hobby Lobby, I can barely walk. The pain is back.

I go back to the doctor next Thursday for another injection. With a really big needle. That hurts.

And I hope it lasts for more than a day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

BUY SOME SENSIBLE SHOES!!!Doctor knows best!

Erika said...

Exactly what I was going to say! I am sure you have bought some sensible shoes by now, right?:) I remember how you love your pedicures, and the only way to properly show those off is flip flops, of course!

Performance Place Sports Care said...

I think one thing to consider trying, in regards to the formation of bunions, is muscle work. Any effort to relax the muscles that pull the big toe outward would help out dramatically with bunion formation. Sometimes these muscles can become shortened and damaged after wearing high heels for long periods of time.

Almost any type of manual therapist can help you out with lengthening these muscles but I my opinion Active Release Technique (ART) is the best at get fast results.

For more info on Active Release:
www.OrangeCountyPainManagement.com

Anonymous said...

I see a consistent message here:

stop wearing flip flops but then again like you have said before one thing you Germans do have is a sense of stubbornness and you can blame all those pre mentioned ancestors for the feet and the "tude your favorite diva