Sunday, January 9, 2011

The King's Speech (2010)

As you can tell, I love movies!! I consider myself to be a movie buff and I've been lucky to have a variety of friends who like to see different genres of movies.

As the Oscars approach, this movie kept coming up as a potential nominee for Best Picture as well as Best Actor for Colin Firth. (Ed.'s Note: I have a thing for Colin Firth. Some weird, bizarre, nerdy British thing.....)

So after a Sunday of shopping at my beloved Southpark Meadows, I headed to the theatre to see this film.

I loved this movie!! It was funny, witty, and touching. I learned more about the modern British monarchy than I had known. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter were all fabulous - I can see why this movie has generated such an Oscar buzz.

Colin Firth is Bertie.... son of King George. King George dies and his brother David is supposed to become king - however, he's in love with Wallis Simpson, the American divorcee. He abdicates, thus leaving Bertie, now known as King George VI, to take the throne.

No big deal, right? Bertie has a horrible stammering problem. He can't speak and they've tried everything. His wife finds Lionel Logue, an Australian who works with speech disorders. Bertie reluctantly tries working with Lionel. That is the basis of the film.

Bertie is the father of the current Queen Elizabeth of England and the great-grandfather of Prince William. This story is so well told, it was hard to believe it was a two-hour film.

Mo's Review:
The King's Speech (2010): 5 out of 5 stars

No comments: