Saturday, January 15, 2011

Room by Emma Donoghue


This may be one of the most thought-provoking books that I have read in a long time. My friend Lisa has previously read this book and I kept talking to her throughout my reading of the book - you couldn't help but want to talk about the book.
I really don't want to say too much about this book, because the reader needs to come in with a clear mind in order to really have the a-ha's that I had. So I will simply restate what I've seen on Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.com.

Jack is a five year old boy who has lived in Room with his Ma for his entire life. It is his entire world, but it is his Ma's prison. They fear nightly visits from a man named Old Jack. What happens when Jack and Ma are able to escape Room and come to know what is called Outside?

This is an eerie topic, it echoes the Jacey Duggar story a bit, but it is so well written and so thought provoking - it makes you really think about what Jack might feel like and how he can process his new world.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to read!!
Mo's Review:
"Room" by Emma Donoghue (2010, 321 pages): 5 out of 5 Stars

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This book caused me to wonder how I would have acted, had I been in the same position as "Ma." As a mother of three, it was inconceivable that she had created such a rich world for Jack that he simply didn't need anything or anyone else. As a bookclub book, this one will spark MUCH conversation on child rearing and the things parents (especially mothers) will do to protect their children. EXCELLENT BOOK.