Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cultural Day 2008

Today was my first annual "Cultural Day 2008." (Ed.'s note: I hope to have cultural days more than once a year, but set your standards low and then you'll overachieve!!)

Cultural Day was born from the idea that I wanted to see the Impressionist exhibit that was at the Kimball Art Museum in Ft. Worth. It is from the Art Institute of Chicago - so you know that it's going to be good. I asked a couple of friends and no one wanted to go (too far, too hot, hate art, blah, blah, blah). So like with my musicals, I decide I'm going. Well, I start researching and realize that Ft. Worth is quite the cultural place. I add a visit to the Amon Carter Museum to look at a photography exhibit (photography is becoming a new hobby of mine) and then I'd go to the National Cowgirl Museum. I chose today because Tuesday is half-price day at the Kimball ($8 instead of $16). I also have $2 off coupon for the Cowgirl Museum - culture at a value price!

Of course, I start off my visiting my neighborhood Sonic for a drink so I can have all the vitamins and nutrients for my adventure. I wanted to leave at 9:30, but it was more like 10:15 when I left. No worries, the museums didn't open until 10 AM. I make great time with minimal traffic, except by DFW. And honestly, for a nanosecond, I think about going to airport and hopping a plane - wouldn't that be awesome?

I arrive at the Kimball. See the big sign letting me know that I'm in the right place?

There was also this great sculpture called "Women Addressing the Public" by Joan Miro. Is this the front or the back? This side looked like it had boobs, so I'm assuming it's the front......

Once inside, I pay my $8 to the snobby docent at the ticket counter and walk in. Absolutely amazing. Manet, Monet, Renior, Cezanne, Van Gogh..... beautiful paintings. I've seen most of them in books, but to see them in person was just amazing. They were really breathtaking. There were too many security people to try and sneak pictures - but it wouldn't have worked because the lighting was too dim to protect the paintings. I spent an hour just wandering, reading, and enjoying this work. As I walked around, I was so glad that I went - and probably better by myself, so that I could wander at my own pace.
This was in the "back yard" of the Kimball. I loved it. It's called "Running Flower" by Fernand Leger. Leaving the Kimball, I walk next door to the Amon Carter Museum. It was empty inside. I spent another hour just wandering, primarily in the photography exhibit. Some amazing photographs from the 1940's. This exhibit made me decide that I really want to take a class to learn more about photography.

From the Amon Carter, I head to the National Cowgirl Museum. It's about to rain outside, and the air is thick and humid. I'm sweaty and gross. I think I scared the ticket counter person at the Cowgirl Museum. I used my coupon and paid my $6. The bottom floor was dedicated to the new Natural History Museum being built.... yuckk!! I go upstairs to the Cowgirls. WOW! It was really cool - chicks rule! I tried to sneak pictures, but none came out too well.

The construction wall around the Natural History museum had paintings done by students at South Hills HS in Ft. Worth - they were amazing. I took a couple of pictures of those too.


As I'm heading back to my car, it's hot, humid, and I'm hungry. I stop and take a few more shots of the Will Rogers Complex and some more sculptures. As soon as I shut my car door, it starts raining - how's that for Cultural Day Karma? I decide to get on the road and head home rather than eat in Ft. Worth.

As I'm leaving the Ft. Worth Cultural District, look at what I find:


I wonder if Jake has met Leila? Do you see all of the trophies in the window? They must do some pretty damn good hair here. And palm trees in the parking lot? I thought for a moment I was back in Florida.....


Remember, culture is in the eye of the beholder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't ask me if I wanted to go! Think I am going to see exhibit this weekend. Guess out of sight, out of mind for your oldest, dearest friend :) Get hooked on B - can you guess who wrote this ?????

Anonymous said...

Hello!!!I am always up for an art museum!!! You didn't ask me :( You missed out on the Modern --also a great museum in that neighborhood. And when the weather is right the botanical gardens in Ft. Worth are beautiful! If you ever want to go I have a membership to the DMA, and the Nasher and Trammel Crow Asian museum are right by it and are both great musuems to visit.