Saturday, September 20, 2008

Happy Hour.... with children ?!?!!?!

So..... you've had a rough week, you want to relax and enjoy the upcoming weekend, so what do you do? Go to Happy Hour, right? Have a few drinks, some snacks, and just relax - thankful that the week is over and you've got some time for yourself.....

Not for everyone.....

My sister was invited to a Happy Hour of sorts..... her friend with kids invited them over for Happy Hour tonight (who does Happy Hour on Saturday?).... there will be 1 bottle of wine (this tells me either to bring more wine or that drinking more than a glass around their "precious cargo" will be frowned upon) and some appetizers.... however, only people with children can stay for pizza dinner with the kids... others may use this as a jumping off point for their evening activities......

WTF?

What if you have kids and don't want to bring them? Is that okay?

What if you have kids and don't want/like pizza? Is that okay?

What if you are childless and love pizza? No dinner for you?

What if you are single, childless, hate wine, and love pizza?

I'm kinda confused by the whole concept.... I think sometimes people with children think that everyone loves to be around kids. If you think back, you probably didn't like being around other people's whiny, dirty kids when you were childless. You know what, get a babysitter and go out for goodness sakes! Don't subject us childless people to pseudo events disguised because you either don't want a babysitter or think everyone loves your kids as much as you do!!

Or, if you are too cheap for a sitter....... then invite us over later on in the evening after the anklebiters have gone to sleep.... we can drink and visit, your kids can sleep.... and the two don't mix!!

For me personally, after a week in a school, the last thing I want to do on the weekends is to act like I love being around kids when I don't have to/want to be..... (Ed.'s note: I LOVE children!! On Mondays-Fridays from 7:20-3:20. When I'm not working, I want to have the choice of whether I am around them or not. Most of my friends have cool kids and I love being around them. Some, however, do not.)

I'm sure the comments are coming, so let 'em rip!!

2 comments:

Leon said...

So I assume I shouldn't ask you to babysit. JK You know I have three of the kneebiters, they're a little older, and have people over too. If the kids come over, it's byob, we do the food. Wanna stay late? fine, bring pjs for your kids they can sleep here. Don't like the situation, don't come. Chances are it was just a pressure invite anyway. I don't like other's kids either, and that's that.

Anonymous said...

Hell I hate going out with my OWN kids.......... can't imagine trying to enjoy happy hour with them.