Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Brother-in-Law Mike

My sister Sarah has been married for a little more than three years to Mike. I like Mike. He is a good guy, he treats my sister well and makes her happy. Our family isn't the easiest group to break into, but he's done a super job! He's smart, he's sarcastic, he's fun to go with for dinner and beer. Mike & I get along really well. (Ed.'s note: At least I think we do.... for all I know, he may hate my guts, but I don't think so!!)

Mike doesn't like chocolate (which amazes me that ANYONE would not like chocolate). He is an avid golfer - most weekends when I call Sarah, he's hit the links. Mike really enjoys meat, cheese, bread and beer. He ate 3 cheeseburgers for lunch the other day, thus earning the name the "Burger King." Mike hates "The Hills" and it drives him crazy that smart girls like my sister and me love to watch that show. Mike and I can annoy my sister when we gang up on her to talk about things, like his sandwich shop (I can't say the name, but it's a good one!).

So on Friday, Mike and Sarah meet me for dinner at the Blue Goose in Plano. It was 8:15 on Friday and we got a table right away, which was awesome! So, I'm not really sure how we got to this conversation, but we started talking about Facebook. My sister is kinda getting into it (but I don't think she wants to admit it), and ironically, Mike was having Sarah look up names too. But he just thinks that Facebook is ridiculous. So is My Space (which I do kind of agree with him on this one). He asked me, "How old are you? 18?"

But he really went crazy when I told him I had a blog and that I blogged. "Why do you blog? It's a diary online." I tried to explain that I'm funny, people like to read what I write and that it's usually very sarcastic observations about life or my obsessions with musicals, books, and Facebook. I got the same lecture that I did when he realized my sister and I love to watch "The Hills." He finally realized that he wasn't going to win this conversation, and we changed the subject.

So for fun, I told him I'd do a blog entry all about him...... so here it is!

PS - I talked to my sister today. They went to eat with Mike's family last night. Apparently Mike asked his younger sister (age 30) if she had these things (blog, My Space, Facebook). She did not. But he found out his older sister (my age) has all 3. ALL THREE!! So he told Sarah that it must something "our" (meaning his older sis and me) generation does and that "they" (meaning Mike, Sarah & Mike's younger sis) don't.

In case you are wondering, Mike is 4 years younger than me. Not a generation younger. Nice try, bro-in-law!

Mike, when you finally join the program and get a Facebook page, will you send me a "'Lil Green Plant" for my Green Patch? I can blog all about it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike did read and enjoy the entry; however, because he has such strong feelings against blogging, he will not post a comment. Don't worry, he thinks you get along swimmingly, and he enjoys you as a sister-in-law. But setting up a Facebook profile is way out of the question for him! :-)

JDHTEACH said...

He will come around. At the moment he is too macho to blog. I enjoy getting my observations out there

JDHTEACH said...

hope you don't mind the picture of me and mt bald head.

unt grad said...

my younger sister blogs. she just started and is enjoying it. I like it because I can "vent" about things that make me crazy (especially Jdhteach!). :) To each his own. I'm not that into golf either, but it's not a generational thing.

jdhteach's wife

Leon said...

I'll bet he thinks that blog means something dirty