Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering the Day.....

It's hard to believe that it's been 7 years since 9-11. The memories are still fresh in my mind. I was living in Tallahassee, teaching 4th grade. I was teaching math when my principal came in and handed me a folder and told me to read it. I remember it saying something like:

"There is a terrorist attack happening in NYC and Washington, DC. Do not turn on the TV or alert the students about what is happening. Stay calm and we will keep you posted. We will meet after school briefly to discuss what will happen tomorrow."

She left my room and I tried to resume teaching. I kept repeating the same phrase over and over and the kids knew something was wrong. We took them to special areas and sat in one of the classrooms, watching in shock. The towers collapsed while we sat there, crying and scared. I remember picking up my class and trying to stay positive. It was the longest day ever!

Students starting getting picked up early and the remaining kids said, "Why is everyone going home?" - I think I told them that they all had dentist appointments. Somehow we made it through the day, met with our principal, and went home.... not sure what the future held for us.

During that car ride home, I called my Mom, Dad, and Sarah. I was scared. It was then that I decided I was moving home to Texas once the school year ended.

One of my fourth graders lost her aunt and uncle in the World Trade Center towers. My heart still hurts for her and all the others who were lost.

So.... here we are 7 years later..... today we wore red, white, and blue to celebrate "Patriot Day." But are we really celebrating..... or remembering? As I interacted with kiddos today, I realized that our kinder, first and most of our second graders weren't even born.... and our 4th graders were toddlers and don't remember it......

I don't think I can ever forget it.

God Bless America!!

(Ed.'s note: My normal whiny, sarcastic self will be back on the next post. I needed to mark this day in a serious manner.)

No comments: