Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Classy Night.... from Reginald to Tony to BK.....

Tonight was our Tony Bennett concert. I honestly didn't think that I was going to make it there - my afternoon was way messed up!! I'll have to save the first part of my trip (Reginald from the title) for another blog entry...... it was interesting to say the least.....

Because I'm running so late, I meet Brooke in the CVS parking lot by SMU and we head to the Meyerson. We got there in like 10 minutes, found a great parking spot across the street (that cost $15 - parking is SUCH a rip!) and were inside the Meyerson by 7:40. (Ed.'s note: The Meyerson is beautiful and great, but I like the Bass in Ft. Worth better.) We gulped down a couple of RC Cola's (we hadn't had time to stop for dinner) and we were in our seats ready to go by 7:55.

Kudos to Brooke for our fabulous seats! We were like 10 rows back and right near the aisle. We had an excellent view of Tony.

At 8:00 promptly, Tony came out and sang. He sang for 90 minutes. He talked a bit between songs, but not much. He threw names around like it was no big deal. He was absolutely amazing - he voice was clear and strong. He is 82 years old..... and he worked the stage for his time, never sitting down and always full of energy. He smiles constantly and you can really tell he is enjoying singing his songs for you.

I loved how he would throw his hands up in the air after he'd sing a bit or after one of the band members would do a solo and on command the entire audience would applaud. He did this often and each time the audience applauded. By the end of the show, we were trained. There were also at least 3 standing ovations during the show.

One of the most powerful moments was when he turned the microphone off and sang a song to a friend of his in the crowd. His voice filled the Meyerson and it was beautiful. It was amazing. There was not a sound in the theatre. When he finished, there was thunderous applause!

At the end of his set, he simply waved and walked off stage. The crowd kept clapping over and over... he came out a few times, wave, and then walk away. We kept clapping. (Ed.'s note: I think after all of the rock concerts I've been to lately, I was somewhat trained that if I clap long and loud enough, they'll come out and do an encore.) No such luck with Tony. When he was finished, he was finished.

We left and went to Burger King for a quick bite. Hey, after a fancy night at the Meyerson, BK is the perfect post concert stop. Brooke and I ate and caught up, then she took me to my car.

Tonight ends my October concert run..... 4 concerts (Buble', New Kids on the Block, Rick Springfield, Tony Bennett), 4 venues (Ft. Worth Convention Center, AAC, House of Blues, Meyerson), 2 cities (Dallas, Ft. Worth). It's been a great run!

No comments: