Monday, October 20, 2008

I've been "Hangin' Tough" with the "Right Stuff"..........

Well, tonight my 4 concerts in 4 venues in 2 cities continues......

It was New Kids on the Block at the American Airlines Center......

I just got home about 15 minutes ago (12:25 was when I got home) and I am exhausted. So I may start this blog and add to it tomorrow when I've had some rest.

Sarah and I met up and had a quick bite to eat before we headed downtown. We got inside, got a beer and got settled in our seats just as the opening act for the opening act was starting. I still have no idea who it was, but she was a bizarre little trollop who talked more about her skirt than anything. She only sang 2 or 3 songs, then was gone.......

After a quick break, Natasha Bedingfield came out. That sista can SING! Her voice is amazing, she did about a 30 minute set and it was fun. She ended her set with the song "Unwritten" (aka "The Hills" theme song) and it brought the place down.....

In between Natasha and NKOTB, I ran over to Section 114 to say hi to Elizabeth and her cousin. Then I rushed back to my seat.

I was again in Section 111 (see my previous post about Van Halen in April). We had awesome seats with a great view.

As quick as the concert started, it was over. The boys sang for 2 hours, but it felt like 2 minutes. They did all the standards and some of their new stuff. There was a lull in the middle where they took turns singing slow songs, I'm guessing that was a bathroom/costume change/water/catch your breath break. They came out and rocked it... ending the show with "Step by Step" and "Hangin' Tough."

Here's my individual reviews:

1. Donnie Wahlberg - I can truly say, he is the heart and soul of the group. He's the audience stirrer and head rapper. He apparently also is an exhibitionist, showing us his drawers as well as having the camera focus on his crotch numerous times. He got the audience going and was fun to watch. You could tell he was enjoying himself. Sadly, he wore a hat the whole night to hide his male-pattern baldness. Get rid of the hat, Donnie, we love you for more than your head of hair!!

2. Joey McIntyre - I had NO interest in him back in the day. But he has grown into a fine young man (he's actually 36 - I had no idea he was that old... I was thinking he was like 32 or something!!) with the bluest eyes ever. He can sing and he did a fair share of the vocals. He can also dance - I think "Dancing with the Stars" probably helped him.....

3. Jordan Knight - I was impressed with how many of the high notes that he could still hit. He has a great voice, and he chose to sing a song while wearing an open shirt and allowing a fan to blow it open. He's cuter than he was before... and a much better dresser..... no acid wash jeans or overalls the entire night!!

4. Danny Wood - God bless Danny!! He's not the cutest, and he's not a major vocalist, but he does contribute all spoken lines in any song...... that is important!! He also featured break dancing during a number, and talked about Breast Cancer Awareness and losing his mother. He has a good body, a lot of heart, so I give him a lot of props for his work tonight.

5. Jon Knight - I think Sarah and I agree that he was the worst. He literally phoned it in. He could not have been there and he wouldn't have been missed. Is he just doing it for the paycheck? My sister LOVED Jon 20 years ago, but is less than impressed with him now.

It's almost 1 AM and I have to be up in 4 hours to work. I may add to this tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

Let's just say I had a wonderful time!! I'm glad I went!! Happy Belated Birthday, Sarah!

Next up..... Rick Springfield at House of Blues on Saturday night...... let the tunes continue!!

1 comment:

Leon said...

What are you doing with gordo on your watch list. He's a sick human being.