Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Oprah Winfrey Presents..... The Color Purple.... My Last Musical for this Season!!!

I'm a little sad tonight, so bear with me...... tonight was my last musical of this season, "The Color Purple." I was a little nervous because the State Fair was going on and I was worried about going alone and parking. A few weeks ago, I went and bought a special valet pass (for $30) to guarantee that I had valet parking for the show. (Ed.'s note: I walked farther than I normally walk when I don't park valet so that I could park valet tonight. Go figure!!)

I started the evening by meeting Mike & Sarah at Snookie's for a burger. As usual, we had great conversation. (Ed.'s note: We discussed whether you can use "golf" as a verb. Do you golf? Or Do you play golf? Discuss.) We also discussed my previous blog about US Americans and dumb Southern beauty queens such as.

I leave dinner and head down to Fair Park. I use my magic valet pass and have to hike my fat ass across two parking lots to get to the Hall. As I'm waiting to get my ticket scanned, the girl in front of me asks the usher how long the show would be.

Girl: "How long is the show tonight?"
Usher: "2 hours, 50 minutes."
Girls: "2 hours, 15 minutes?"
Usher: "No, 2 hours, 50 minutes."
Mo (to self): This is one long damn show. And I'm glad I'm not trying to be at work at 6 AM tomorrow morning. Thank heavens for boring staff development days that don't start until 9 AM!!

I get in and get settled into my seat. Roland and Sylvia are already there - they had spent a few hours at the fair before coming to the show (you can get into the Fair with your ticket to the musical - $14 bonus value!!) We chit chat and I find out that R & S live in the same neighborhood as my mother!! It's a small world after all!! (It's a world of laughter, a world of tears..... sorry, I digress.... it IS my favorite ride at Disney World!)

The gay guys come in at the last minute and we all talk about how sad we are that our season is over, but we are all overjoyed (seriously!) that we are all renewing tickets for next season! Tarzan, here we come!!!

The show was good - singing was amazing!! There was some material that I think offended Sylvia, but I enjoyed it. How do I know it offended Sylvia? When she said to me at the intermission, "I could have done with less of "that." I got the gist without them having to be soo graphic about it." But me, I was glad that I had the chance to see it! It was 2 hours and 50 minutes long.... I started to fidget at about 10:30 PM.

When it was over, we all said goodbye. The gay guys hugged me and shook my hand. I was a little choked up - I've bonded with all of them. And the gay guys helped me with my daily quota of sarcasm......

But we'll be reunited (reunited and it feels soo good... reunited cause we understood..... sorry, I'm punchy and feel like singing...) in March 2009 for Tarzan!!

Hasta la vista mis amigos nuevos!!

1 comment:

Leon said...

I've yada yada'ed golf>