Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Friend Jason Huffman (May 2, 1971-April 7, 2010)


I'm sad tonight about the loss of my friend Jason. Jason was a co-worker of mine as well as a friend. He had this incredible laugh, a great sense of humor and an air of mischeviousness about him that was fun to watch. He was a friend to everyone as well as a loving husband and a devoted father to Jack (9) and Caroline (6).

Jason and I had a whole history that we didn't even know we had. He taught at Hamilton Park Pacesetter in Richardson about 4 years after I did. One of the 5th grade teachers I worked with ended up becoming his mother-in-law. His mother-in-law Jeannie married a the father of a friend of mine that I grew up with - it was just all such a small world.....

Jason was diagnosed with leukemia in May 2006, just as I was finishing my first year as an administrator. When he came back to school the next year, he was bald headed as could be, but once I heard that laugh, I knew it was the same old Jason. He also blogged and we loved to read and comment on each other's blogs - we provided each other with quite a few laughs this way. (His blog is still linked on my page - it's the JDHTeach blog if you'd like to go back and read some of his posts.)

The last year has been hard as he has fought graft vs. host. His physical body was betraying him though his spirit was strong. He worked until a few months ago, when he just couldn't do it anymore.

His passing today was sudden... and sad. I regret not having talked to him while he was in the hospital, being caught up in my life and my work. I hope he knew that I loved and cared for him, that my heart hurts for him, but also the family he has left behind.

RIP Jason, we will miss you. But I'm pretty sure the angels are doubled over laughing just like you had all of us down here doing when you were around.

No comments: