Sunday, February 7, 2010

Daddy Daughter Dance - seriously?

So last night, I ate at my neighborhood Red Lobster with my friends Heidi and Sara. I have serious mad love for the cheddar biscuits (4 point each people!) and the seafood stuffed flounder. We met at 5:30, which is way early for a Saturday and we had to wait for almost 20 minutes to get seated.

Then they started to come. Dads with their daughters. Which I have no problem with - I think the dance is a sweet idea. I wish they had something like that when I was a kid - I think my Dad would have taken my sister and me and we would have had a lot of fun. So don't think I'm so jaded that I don't see the sweetness of the activity. I think it's darling when the Dads buy their daughters the cute little wrist corsages.

But......

C'mon, moms. Five year old little girls with makeup? Hair professionally done with glitter? Manicures? I mean, they are LITTLE GIRLS. They should be little girls for as long as possible. I can't stand when they try to push them into being grown before their time. If you are taking the kids to the salon for hair, makeup and nails at 5, what do they have to look forward to as they get older? And we complain about children being ungrateful; well, when you give them everything too early, they just expect more and more.

As we were leaving, we saw one dad come in with his daughter. She was wearing a gorgeous party dress with tights and Mary Janes. Her hair was curled (not professionally, prolly with Mom and a curling iron) and she had a rose corsage on her wrist. She looked like a little girl. She looked excited to be having some time with her Dad. Isn't that what it's about?

No comments: