Saturday, February 13, 2010

Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me The Teacher I Never Had by Brad Cohen

Each summer, I go to Austin as school gets out for my summer convention. It's a chance to hang out with the other principals, make new friends, and learn some new ideas that I can take back to my school with me. I look forward to it. It's a great break once we lose the teachers and students, and it means I only have a few more weeks until my summer vacation!

TEPSA has a Facebook page (who doesn't?) and there was a reminder to see the Hallmark Hall of Fame Movie called "Front of the Class" about a teacher who has Tourette Syndrome. So I Tivoed it and watched it the next morning. What a great movie - I cried, it was funny, sad, so many different emotions......

Of course, I had to get on Amazon.com and get the book. I started it last night and finished it today. It was an easy read, evoking the same emotions in me that the movie did. Brad Cohen wanted to be a teacher, the kind he never had as a student who had trouble in school. This book was inspirational, funny, and thoughtprovoking. A great read! A must read!!

And the good news is that I'm going to get to hear Brad speak this June at our TEPSA conference. I can't wait! I've got my book, I'll bring it with me, and hopefully I can get him to sign it!

Mo's Review:
"Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me The Teacher I Never Had" by Brad Cohen with Lisa Wysocky, (2005, 243 pages): 5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: