Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow Day!

Earlier this week, we kept hearing about the "winter mix/snow" that was coming. Half the time, I don't even listen to it because it usually is nothing. So yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment scheduled (which is a whole other blog entry itself) for 7:15 AM in Carrollton. I get up at 5 to let Maude out and there's no precip anywhere.... I hope in the shower and start getting ready and it's coming down. My Dad calls and tells me he's on his way to airport and it's bad out there. They start to close a few schools, but nothing in my area.

So I hop in the car at 6:30 and head toward Carrollton (normally a 15 minute drive), giving myself plenty of time. The roads are fine. They are slushy and wet, but fine. There is a lot of snow coming down, but it's not bad. I make it to the office building, park...... my phone rings. It's 6:50 AM, the doctor's office is closed since they just closed the school district the office is located in. Well, hell...... I turn around and drive home again. The roads are fine. I come home, put on some work clothes, eat some breakfast, take my meds, then hop into the car and head on into work. I leave my house by 7:20 and I was at work by 7:45. Again, the roads weren't bad, but by now, the snow is starting to pile up.

I was proud of my staff, almost all of them came in despite the weather. One who e-mailed that she turned around after an hour was suprising to me - since I drove past her neighborhood 3 times in an hour with no problem!!

All day it snows. It's gorgeous. I wish my back didn't face my windows so I could have watched it just snow and snow. Parents pick up their kids early, some of the kids go out into the snow and take pictures. We dismiss at the regular time, get all of the kids loaded up, then head home ourselves. Again, the roads were just fine.

Once I get home, I get Maude settled and I'm loving the snow. My worry is all the slush will freeze overnight, but the temperature is just hovering at freezing. They end up calling school off at 7:20 last night, which was awesome. No getting up early, starting to get ready, getting the call and then trying to go back to sleep...... you could just go ahead and sleep on in! Woo hoo!!

Today's been a great lazy day. Maude doesn't know what to think of the snow. She won't pee in it, just on the edge of the parking lot. But then she'll jump in it full force and play around - it's fun to watch. I wish I knew what she was thinking!

I'm trying to make the most of this day so on the Friday before Memorial Day, when I'm tired and stressed out and I remember that we have lost this day, I can think about this restful, wonderful snow day.

No comments: