Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Sister's Keeper (2009)

I should first say that I love this book by Jodi Picoult. Shortly after I read it, Sarah and I had the chance to hear her speak at "Richardson Reads One Book," an event that we go to each September. (I still plan on going when I live in Bastrop.)

When they made a movie of this, I wasn't sure I wanted to see it since I had enjoyed the book so much. One of my dear friends, Heidi, saw it and hated it because it did not stay true to the book. So I avoided seeing it. But it just came on HBO, so I tivoed it and spent this morning in bed, being lazy and watching it.

Abigail Breslin plays Anna Fitzgerald, a child that was basically born for the purpose of saving her terminally ill sister. Her parents are played by Jason Patric (HOT, HOT, HOT!!) and Cameron Diaz (who was absolutely unbelievable playing a mother). The family's life has revolved around the sister, the brother is off doing his own thing and the parents' relationship is strained as well.

Anna decides to hire Campbell Alexander (played by Alec Baldwin) to get her medical emancipation. This tears the family further apart.

The movie continues to twist and turn until the conclusion. Which sucked. The book was much better. My advice? Read the book.

Mo's Review:
My Sister's Keeper (2009): 3 out of 5 stars

No comments: