Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Appreciation - what a novel concept!!

According to dictionary.com, appreciation means "gratitude, thankful recognition."  Appreciation is such a simple act and it can mean so much.

When I was a teacher, I really liked when my principal did little acts of appreciation for us - a jeans pass, a kind note, a treat in our box, or a shoutout at a staff meeting.  Some bosses did a better job of it than others.  But when you don't feel appreciated, a little shot in the arm can be just what you need to get you over the hurdle.

Once I became an assistant principal, I wanted to show appreciation to my teachers.  I tried to leave handwritten notes to teachers after I did their evaluation or find ways to give them a shout out for their hard work.  I enjoyed doing it and it did seem to make a difference with the morale of the staff.

As I moved into a principal role, I still tried to show my appreciation for my staff.  It's a little more difficult with all of the demands, but I see it as more important now than ever.  Teachers are overworked and underpaid, so anything I can do to make them feel appreciated is helpful.

I'm blessed that I worked with a staff that shows their appreciation of me on almost a daily basis.  I find little goodies on my desk (treats, a Coke) and many of them write me notes or tell me they appreciate me.  They always spoil me on Boss's Day.  It's nice.  And it helps me keep fighting the fight on their behalf and for their benefit.

However, beyond my campus, there is little appreciation for what I do.  Instead, it feels like more work is dumped on me or my role is to help others complete their to-do list no matter what it does to my to-do list.  Instead of hearing what I do right or well, I hear what I haven't done or done well or done enough.  Sometimes I'm down and then I feel like I'm kicked when I'm down.  It's disheartening.  I just wish that I might get a call or a compliment.  Even a call asking what I might need. 

What I've learned about myself is that I need appreciation.  I need recognition for a job done well.  I don't need a parade or a key to the city, but I need to know that others see my hard work and appreciate the sacrifices that I make.  I know that I'm 42, I should be able to find my own intrensic validation, but I can't.  There. It's out there now......

So do I seek the appreciation I need (and sometimes deserve)?  Or do I appreciate the appreciation that I do receive from my staff and have that be enough?

The one thing I do know is that I need to appreciate my staff more and better.  They deserve the best I have EVERY day.

Staying happy means sometimes looking at yourself in the mirror and seeing and accepting ALL of you (even maybe the more needy and less attractive parts).

Stay happy!
:) Mo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey! I am the queen of needing outside validation. My boss realized it a few years ago, so I keep winning a big annual award at work. It's not like I'm the best here . . . I think they realize I need it more than anyone else. :)