Monday, January 21, 2013

The Lion King


Last night was the third show in my Broadway series season.  We saw "Rock of Ages" in September and we missed "Billy Elliott" in December due to illness.  Michele was out of town, so since my sister Sarah was here visiting, she was able to step in and go with me.

I've never seen "The Lion King," but has always wanted to.  I had heard so many great things about it and I can tell you that is did NOT disappoint.  The music was amazing - I almost bought the soundtrack right there at the theatre.  The costumes were amazing - how they were able to represent all of the animals of Pride Rock.  Scar had a costume malfunction in the Second Act, but other than that, it was wonderful.

I've always loved the movie and I loved how the musical was able to capture the essence of the movie.  Sarah hadn't ever seen the movie, so it was neat to see her reaction.  Now she doesn't want to see the movie because she enjoyed the musical so.

This was my first trip to Bass Concert Hall at UT.  It was easy to get to and we were able to park right outside the door.  So it was a very quick and easy experience - I was a little nervous because I'm not that familiar with the UT campus.  Since we got there so early, we were able to go sit out on the patio off of the sixth floor and watch the sunset over the UT campus.  The weather was gorgeous!

After the show, we had dinner at Hyde Park Bar & Grill on Duval (thanks Jennifer, for the recommendation!).  It was a great meal with some great wine.  I had this incredible fried chicken breast with the queso sauce and spaetzle - coupled with a nice glass of Malbec - mmmmmm..... heaven on earth!!

What a perfect evening!!

No comments: